none
Why do some profiles have C:/Users/username/ directories, and others have C:/Users/username.domainname/? Can I do anything to standardize it without re-creating all the accounts? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a volunteer in charge of a small organization's  network.  We have about 10 machines and 25 users, and a domain controlled by a Win SBS 2012 server.  Each user is able to log in at any machine, and folder redirection is enabled.  

Recently, I began looking at ways to quickly migrate Outlook settings (to avoid having to set up each account on each machine) and hit on a method that seems to work - I set up the accounts on one machine, then import the registry keys to files that a GPO applies to other machines as users log on.  

The problem I'm running into is that when I look at the user directories of these machines, some users have folders named C:/Users/Username/ while others have both that and /Users/Username.domainname/ directories.  This causes a problem, because when I try to export registry settings from a computer set up one way to one set up another for that user, I get permission errors when the user tries to use Outlook.  It seems that a machine with only a /users/username/ directory will try to look there, even if the user's directory on another machine is /users/username.domainname/.  Windows sees those as two separate users, so the username.domainname/ user has no access to files in /username/.  I don't understand why this is, as users that do log in and have plain /username/ profile directories are still on the domain, with no problem accessing network resources.  

Can anyone shed any light on this, please?  It's been a nightmare finding information on it, as most search engines refuse to search for strings like "user.domain" as a single phrase (even TechNet's engine doesn't do this).  

Monday, December 9, 2013 12:17 AM

All replies

• Just to clarify, all I really need to do is remove the ./Users/username.domain./ profiles and/or merge them with the /Users/username/ profiles.  I tried temporarily renaming both directories in hope that it'd just re-create a local user directory on login, but no luck.  
    Monday, December 9, 2013 3:35 AM