Receive Connector Custom Port for internal use - Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and all the best for 2019,

I have a situation and i have been struggling to find a solution  for 2-3 days now. If you can help me please.

Few months ago i have started a migration procedure Exchange 2010 to 2016.

Exch2010 was acting as a proxy until all mailboxes and public folders were recently moved to Exch2016.

I have shut down Exch2010 and i am trying to check if all operations work fine.

I have manage to send and receive emails internal and external but i have a small problem with some internal applications and scanners that use relay anonymous authentication.

On Exch2010 i was using a custom port 1313 for those services but on Exch2016 is not working.

I have setup the SMTP relay through EMC and Powershell with variety of found from all IT forums but no luck.

Applications and scanners work just fine if i setup port 25 instead of the desired 1313.

Meanwhile all forums refer to relay with port 25 but i need to customize that for the internal communication.

Thank you

Kim Jo

Saturday, January 5, 2019 12:11 PM

All replies

• Hello and all the best for 2019,

I have a situation and i have been struggling to find a solution  for 2-3 days now. If you can help me please.

Few months ago i have started a migration procedure Exchange 2010 to 2016.

Exch2010 was acting as a proxy until all mailboxes and public folders were recently moved to Exch2016.

I have shut down Exch2010 and i am trying to check if all operations work fine.

I have manage to send and receive emails internal and external but i have a small problem with some internal applications and scanners that use relay anonymous authentication.

On Exch2010 i was using a custom port 1313 for those services but on Exch2016 is not working.

I have setup the SMTP relay through EMC and Powershell with variety of found from all IT forums but no luck.

Applications and scanners work just fine if i setup port 25 instead of the desired 1313.

Meanwhile all forums refer to relay with port 25 but i need to customize that for the internal communication.

Thank you

Kim Jo

Why cant you use port 25? 
    Saturday, January 5, 2019 12:48 PM
  • Andy hi,

If i change port to 25 then i will have to change settings to over 70 scanners and 20 more application servers that send status and notifications. More like Administration/Time/Travelling Cost.

Saturday, January 5, 2019 1:00 PM
  • Andy hi,

If i change port to 25 then i will have to change settings to over 70 scanners and 20 more application servers that send status and notifications. More like Administration/Time/Travelling Cost.

What are the properties of the front end receive connector you created for this? Can you post that here (minus the FQDNs)
    Saturday, January 5, 2019 1:05 PM
  • Andy hi,

As per my knowledge, Exchange requires to allow anonymous relay for such applications and scanners, and it is by designed that the dedicated anonymous relay connector only listens for inbound message for local IP addresses on port 25 in Exchange 2016.

New-ReceiveConnector -Name <ConnectorName> -TransportRole FrontendTransport -Custom -Bindings <LocalIPAddresses>:25 -RemoteIpRanges <RemoteIPAddresses>

For more details, see Allow anonymous relay on Exchange servers.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Tuesday, January 8, 2019 10:11 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2019 6:29 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:23 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2019 10:46 AM