none
DPM 1801- Failed to communicate with <itself> because of a communication error with the protection agent. (ID 53 Details: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion (0x8007041D)) RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 1801
    • Windows 2012 R2, fully patched
    • SQL 2008 R2, fully patched (installed on DPM server)

I am attempting to backup Active Directory (via System State) on a Windows 2016 (fully patched) domain controller. The DC has the current agent installed, and this server shows healthy in the DPM console, and I had no trouble creating the Protection Group. All backups fail however due to the following error:

DPM failed to communicate with <dpm01.contoso.com> because of a communication error with the protection agent. (ID 53 Details: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion (0x8007041D))

EDIT: right-click and select open in a new tab. the forums have shrunk this image to fit the window.

I've also found this entry in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp\DPMRACurr.errlog" file on the domain controller:

1918	0FE0	05/17	18:26:30.536	03	service.cpp(147)	[000000C2B3B3FB00]		ACTIVITY	CService::ServiceHandlerExInternal
    1918	1430	05/17	18:27:05.579	04	cmdproc.cpp(3972)	[000002591F2F7360]		NORMAL	DCOM Caller authentication passed because this is a Domain Controller Machine
    1918	1430	05/17	18:27:05.579	04	cmdproc.cpp(3958)	[000002591F2F7360]		WARNING	Failed: Hr: = [0x80070005] : The DCOM caller is not authenticated to call into this interface.: lVal : E_ACCESSDENIED

So, it would seem its a DCOM permission issue. I found some DCOM troubleshooting tips from DPM 2007 (and everything checks out), but nothing from the last decade. What do I need to do here to fix the backups?

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Baseline Technologies

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is what I was afraid of, okay so you are missing the VssRequestor.dll file and there should be one in your "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\bin" folder.

Simply copy the VssRequestor.dll file from a protected server (can be found in the agent installation folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin)

Try to see if it works after copying the dll file.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Friday, May 18, 2018 2:51 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi!

I tried reproducing your error in my lab environment, although my lab is a bit different, if I have time I will try to create an identical environment.

• DPM 1801 - Windows Server 2016)
    • SQL Server 2016
    • Active Directory - Windows Server 2016.

I attempted to do a System State backup of my Active Directory and it was successful without any problems.

Can you run the DPMRA.exe without getting any errors?
    ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\bin\DPMRA.exe")

You could also try pointing the DPM server again from your AD server.

SetDpmServer.exe –dpmServerName DPM01

Kind regards,
    Leon

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I did run that command previously and it works as expected. also, I installed the agents manually using

.\DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe dpm01.contoso.com

Which i think does mostly the same thing.

also, i can see the agent (on the DC) is indeed talking to the correct DPM server using resource monitor.

I'll try launching DPMRA.exe first thing this morning. I don't have access anymore tonight.

I should also point out to anyone else reading, the necessary exceptions exist on both the DC and the DPM server, and even with the firewall disabled on both, the issue persists.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:07 PM
  • Leon, you're saying DPMRA.exe is supposed to launch from the DPM server itself? If so, it seems there is a problem.

EDIT: I found this post where thiv80 says to copy the vssrequestor.dll file from one of the target computers to the DPM server. I did this and the job started working! Thanks for pointing me on the right path Leon!

Mike Crowley | MVP

Friday, May 18, 2018 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

This is what I was afraid of, okay so you are missing the VssRequestor.dll file and there should be one in your "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\bin" folder.

Simply copy the VssRequestor.dll file from a protected server (can be found in the agent installation folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin)

Try to see if it works after copying the dll file.

Kind regards,
    Leon

• Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Friday, May 18, 2018 2:51 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 2:28 PM