Open HTML file from Sharepoint 2007 document library RRS feed

• Question

• In a document library when I check out a Word document, I get prompted "You are about to check out ___" with the option to use Local Drafts folder.  I can then open the document from Local Drafts and upon saving, I get prompted to check in.

My question is, can I set up this functionality for other file types as well?  For example html files that users are storing?  Have them open in either the editor of my choice?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• HTML files will not work because by default it will open in browser mode hence not actually in editing mode same case applies to .txt files unless you specify you want to edit the file from the dropdown menu. The answer to your question is yes if your machine understands the editing format of the uploaded document.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:57 PM
  • If I check out an html file, what happens is it just gets marked checked out.  Currently I'm able to do that, then open the file through Windows Explorer View (DavWWWRoot share), then edit/save, then check back in (Expression Web for some reason refuses to open a file this way, even though Notepad does????).  But I'd rather not have the check-in/check-out separate from the editing.  If possible I want it to work in the same way as editing a Word doc.  Was thinking there might be some kind of handler I could write.

It pretty much works that way in SPD, but trying to avoid using SPD as this is for users who don't want to mess with SPD.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:37 PM
  • When you open a file while browsing through a document library, you get the prompt for "Editing" and "Read only" because it is the Office program on your client that shows you the message. All the office file extensions like .doc, .xls, .ppt are associated with the Office system on your client.

Files like html, zip, txt these are not recognized by Office by default which is why you don't get that prompt.

Refer to the following link for options with editing documents.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/open-or-edit-a-file-in-a-sharepoint-library-HA010131482.aspx

Thanks,
    Dip

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Hi amc44,

If the program that you want to use to edit the file is compatible with SharePoint, you may see a message that asks if you want to with the file as a local draft. So you will see pop-up window with Use my local drafts folder check box when check out an Office document and notepad. But it will not work for an html file.

Refers to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-sharepoint-services-help/open-or-edit-a-file-in-a-library-HA010092918.aspx

And the pop-up window is created by ActiveX Control named OpenDocuments. It haven’t provide an option for use to customize.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by amc44 Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:33 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:42 AM
  • I suspected that was the case, just wanting to due some diligence.  Thanks.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:33 PM