none
Assigning tasks to a part-time resource RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I want to assign tasks to a part-time employee who doesn't work every day.

I changed her calendar and working days. The problem is, when I wanna specify a duration (1 day for example), the finish date jumps to the they after, while I specifically determined the working time in a day (from 10:00 AM to 02:30 PM)

To be more clear, I'm writing a task and duration, and the calculated start and finish date:

Task 1 -- 1 day -- 11/09/2015 -- 11/10/2015

What's the Problem? 

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:59 AM

Answers

• Vida GhT,

Trevor offered the first good suggestion and that was to allow you to see the full start and finish dates including the time.

Before I get into an example, let me clarify something that may be confusing you. In Project duration is not the same as work. Duration is the span of time during which a task is performed, while work is the amount of effort to actually do the task. If a full time resource is working on a task at 100%, the duration and work values will be the same. However, in your example you do not have a full time employee.

Another important thing to note is that Project calculates duration based on the definition found under File/Options/Schedule group/Hours per day. The default is 8 hours/day and there can only be one definition for a day (or week or month) and that will apply to all tasks. As an example, let's say your resource works a 4.5 hours a day and you assign that resource to what is initially a 1 "day" task. If the task is a fixed work task, which is the default, Project will adjust the duration to be 0.56 days which is 8/4.5. However, if your intent is to indeed have a standard 1 day task (i.e. 8 hours), then the resource will need to work slightly less than two of his/her working days to complete that task.

In the example below I created a resource named Joan. She is a part time resource who works Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM. The first screen shot shows Joan's working calendar. The second screen shot shows Joan assigned to two tasks. The first task shows Joan working a "day" of her time (4.5 hours), which is 0.56 days of duration time. The second task shows Joan's schedule when the intent is to have a full day of duration in which case Joan must work slightly less than two days of her working time, 4.5 on Monday and the remaining 3.5 on Wednesday. Note that Joan shows up in red because she is over-allocated (i.e. assigned to work two tasks simultaneously at 100%).

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:26 PM wrong button too early
    • Marked as answer by Vida GhT Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:24 PM

All replies

• First go to file, options, general and select a date/time format which shows the time as well as the date.

Also, where exactly did you "determined the working time in a day (from 10:00 AM to 02:30 PM)"?

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:32 AM
  • Vida GhT,

Trevor offered the first good suggestion and that was to allow you to see the full start and finish dates including the time.

Before I get into an example, let me clarify something that may be confusing you. In Project duration is not the same as work. Duration is the span of time during which a task is performed, while work is the amount of effort to actually do the task. If a full time resource is working on a task at 100%, the duration and work values will be the same. However, in your example you do not have a full time employee.

Another important thing to note is that Project calculates duration based on the definition found under File/Options/Schedule group/Hours per day. The default is 8 hours/day and there can only be one definition for a day (or week or month) and that will apply to all tasks. As an example, let's say your resource works a 4.5 hours a day and you assign that resource to what is initially a 1 "day" task. If the task is a fixed work task, which is the default, Project will adjust the duration to be 0.56 days which is 8/4.5. However, if your intent is to indeed have a standard 1 day task (i.e. 8 hours), then the resource will need to work slightly less than two of his/her working days to complete that task.

In the example below I created a resource named Joan. She is a part time resource who works Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM. The first screen shot shows Joan's working calendar. The second screen shot shows Joan assigned to two tasks. The first task shows Joan working a "day" of her time (4.5 hours), which is 0.56 days of duration time. The second task shows Joan's schedule when the intent is to have a full day of duration in which case Joan must work slightly less than two days of her working time, 4.5 on Monday and the remaining 3.5 on Wednesday. Note that Joan shows up in red because she is over-allocated (i.e. assigned to work two tasks simultaneously at 100%).

Hope this helps.

John

• Edited by John - Project Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:26 PM wrong button too early
    • Marked as answer by Vida GhT Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:24 PM
  • Trevor,

I used "resource information --> general --> change working time" to put the specific time and days for that resource.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:23 AM
  • John,

I really really appreciate the time you've spent to explain this to me in a perfect way. I can easily realize what should I do now to fix it.

Thank you so much for your clear answer :)

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:31 AM
  • Vida GhT,

You're very welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 3:50 PM