none
Having Problems creating a development copy of a fairly complex live site, sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have inherited a sharepoint distribution from a previous set of contractors, which I am now trying to set up for a developer hired to fix a few bugs in custom code.
    This sharepoint installation consists of a farm that includes the following:

192.168.1.1 - Not Configured

192.168.1.2 - Windows Sharepoint Services Incoming E-Mail, Windows Sharepoint  Services Web Application

192.168.1.3 - Central Administration / Excel Calculation Services / Office Sharepoint Server Search / WSS Incoming email / WSS Web App

192.168.1.4 - Office Sharepoint Server Search / WSS Incoming email / WSS web app

SQLCluster - WSS Database

I have a development machine with a single install of sharepoint / mssql 2005 that I would like to set up as a test server for code/database changes

I set out thus to export (stsadm -o export etc.) a copy of the live site, and import it into my test server. This gave me a lot of errors regarding features, which I looked up to be custom solutions that were not installed, so I installed those, and attempted the import again, this time another error regarding features missing. I checked the features/template directory and noticed on live there are a few features that are not listed in the solutions panel, these look to be mostly custom webparts.

My first question is, how do I export these so I can import into my test machine?

My second question is, is there any easier way to do this, I am concerned that even after i fix all the missing features, I will have missing applicaations, or IIS settings that need to be put in, or other issues.

I thought i might be able to do a full backup/restore but that seems to be impossible for a FARM -> single server

Any help would be greatly apprecited.
    _Dimitri_

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:08 AM

All replies

• You can try to just  get your application database, restore to your test / staging server.  then create new application and attach the databases. that will give you all the sites. but you will still have to create SSPs and handle all the feature, solutions, webpart installations.

• Proposed as answer by Nagesh T Friday, October 29, 2010 8:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:10 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:11 PM sig removed - asked poster to mark as answer
    Friday, October 29, 2010 8:05 PM