Resume from hibernation causes problem to the file system while using two or more OS simultaneously. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi..
    I have three Disk drives attached to my system..
    Two different OS (Win 7 Ultimate & Win 7 Home premium) are installed in two drives (500GB & 160GB)
    In each OS the other OS installed HDD is disabled/hidden..
    The third HDD (1TB) has no OS installed in it & it is accessible from both the OS.

So here I am giving the description of the situations which causes the problem, as encountered by me several times during the past 6 months:

1) Booting the system using any of the OS (say i chose 7 ultimate) and then hibernating it.

2) Then logging the system using the other OS (7 Home Premium).

3) Adding & deleting files in the 1TB HDD and shutting down the system.

4) Now on  in every attempt to resume the first OS( 7 Ultimate) from hibernation, it will try to perform disk check at start up, on those few partitions in which files have been added or deleted. Even after restarting and booting the OS( 7 Ultimate) normally it still tries to perform disk check on each start.

5) If the system is logged on, cancelling the disk check, the OS will show all the files in 1TB HDD as it was before. It wouldn't recognizes any effect of addition or deletion of files made, using the other OS (Home Premium). Though it shows the files which were actually deleted by the other OS (Home premium), it fails to open many of them, which could be physically overwritten in the disk drive.

6) If the system is shut down & booted once again using the second OS (Home premium) it will still be showing the updated files & folders as the way it recorded it. Its also possible to access & process such files like normal files without any problems.

7) But the real problem starts once the first OS ( 7 Ultimate) is allowed to perform Disk checking

8) Here the disk checking usually takes much longer time to finish. It changes a huge number of indexed entries & this way it deletes each and every file which was added in the selected partitions of 1TB HDD, using the second OS (Home premium). Such deleted files are not shown later in the directories & they are not even recoverable from any of the OS.

9) When the OS ( 7 Ultimate) starts after finishing the disk check, and any folder is double clicked from those partitions in which disk check was performed, then it asks for administrator permission each and every time. Properties of the containing files of those folders also shows the ownership as being assign to the user of second OS (Home premium)

10) This problem does not appear if the system is Shut down instead of hibernating, before booting the other OS.

I have found same results even after reinstalling both the OS.

Please provide a solution for this problem, as I must keep both the OS, the commonly accessible HDD (1TB) and continue using hibernate option.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Hi,

Some hardwares may not support hibernate. Please apply the latest update for two OS. Also, please involve hardware vendor to update latest BIOS, firmware, and storage drivers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for replying.

But I don't think there is any problem in any hardware devices.

Hibernate and resume always worked fine in my system when i was using only one OS.

Even now when i have two OS installed in my system, if I hibernate and resume without booting the other OS in between and adding files, it never gives any problem.

Besides, I found the same problem when I tested the issue in other systems with different configurations as well.

I would request you to further look in to this matter.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hi,

Though we didn't find this issue when one OS installed in system, the hardware issue may also cause the parallel installation cannot work properly when dealing with hibernate.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 30, 2012 9:51 AM