Windows 7 64 bit freezes when idle RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a windows 7 64 bit system that used to work great. All of a sudden, and without installing a new program or changing the hardware the PC started freezing as soon as it entered the idle state. At the binning I would find the screen black and nothning would bring the PC back to life, neither my keyboard nor my mouse (they are both USM devices). I thought that this problem may have something to do with screen savers and power management so I created a personal profile for power management and I set evrything to never sleep. For a day the problem was solved but now it started freezing again while displaying a flying windows screen saver... although I had disableed screen savers. I do not know what to do to create a complete log of my system to post it here, as I think this should be the first step of troubleshooting. If you have any suggestion I would love to hear them please.

John

Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:30 AM

Answers

• Do you use media center? IF so have you disabled it in media center? If not it will actually override and activate the screensaver settings you put in for the screen saver while in normal windows mode.

In my opinion this action should be separated from the OS bindings since someone might want to use the media centers slideshow screensaver while listening to music, but not have an active screensaver in normal windows mode

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    • Marked as answer by Sfakianos Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:48 AM
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Media Center is installed on my PC but I have never used it. :-(

Could it have something to do with my graphics adapter? I have the GeForce GTX 295, driver version 270.61 and it keeps failing but recovering again.

John
    Have you tried to go to your graphic cards manufacturers website and downloaded their latest drivers yet? it could have something to do with it.... make sure you uninstall the previous version first before you load the new version.

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Hi John,

Did you install any power management software?

Regarding the freezing issue, I suggest updating the graphic card driver and BIOS from manufacture's site manually. Boot in Safe Mode and check if the issue persists. If not, the issue could be caused by third party software, please perform the clean boot.

Regarding the Screensaver issue, please go to check the following group policy.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization

In the right pane, make sure Screen saver timeout is not configured.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:08 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:37 AM

All replies

• Do you use media center? IF so have you disabled it in media center? If not it will actually override and activate the screensaver settings you put in for the screen saver while in normal windows mode.

In my opinion this action should be separated from the OS bindings since someone might want to use the media centers slideshow screensaver while listening to music, but not have an active screensaver in normal windows mode

Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:53 PM

Could it have something to do with my graphics adapter? I have the GeForce GTX 295, driver version 270.61 and it keeps failing but recovering again.

John
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:49 PM

John
    Have you tried to go to your graphic cards manufacturers website and downloaded their latest drivers yet? it could have something to do with it.... make sure you uninstall the previous version first before you load the new version.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:05 PM
  • See what Task Scheduler is doing.

• Unmarked as answer by Sfakianos Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:48 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Hi John,

Did you install any power management software?

Regarding the freezing issue, I suggest updating the graphic card driver and BIOS from manufacture's site manually. Boot in Safe Mode and check if the issue persists. If not, the issue could be caused by third party software, please perform the clean boot.

Regarding the Screensaver issue, please go to check the following group policy.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization

In the right pane, make sure Screen saver timeout is not configured.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:37 AM
  • I tried all of the above and nothing worked. I did a bios upgrade and installed a previous version of my graphics card driver and the problem seems to have stopped, not completely, because it appeared once more but it has been two days now since the last freezing. I think the BIOS upgrade did the work, it is the only new thing I tried...
    John
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:48 AM