Software Update Point Synchronization Source flips hourly from Microsoft Update to local WSUS server RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have setup a Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 on Windows 2008 R2 sp1 with WSUS 3 sp2 (with the correct patches).  WSUS was configured by Software Updates to use Microsoft Update for the Synchronization Source.

    There was an attempt at previous time to use an internal upstream server http://server.site.net:8530, but that was changed after removing the Software Update role and reinstalling it.

    Now, once an hour the Software Update Point will change the WSUS Synchronization Source from Microsoft Update to http://server.site.net:8530.  If I change the setting in WSUS Update source by hand from "Synchronize from another Windows Server Update Services server" to "Synchronize from Microsoft Update"  and manually run a sync it works, but it resets to the local server at the hourly interval.

    Reinstalling IIS, WSUS and the Software Update Point does not fix this.

    WSUSUtil Reset does not fix this.

    Changing from SQL 2012, 2008, and Windows Internal Database for WSUS does not fix this.

    I performed a query against the registry looking for references to http://server.site.net:8530 and it does not appear.

    I queried all tables in the SCCM database and http://server.site.net:8530 does not appear.

    NO GPOs are applying that set http://server.site.net:8530 for the upstream server.

    WCM.log has these entries hourly:

    Verify Upstream Server settings on the Active WSUS Server

    Successfully configured WSUS Server settings and Upstream Server to server.site.net

    Any ideas?

    Friday, August 2, 2013 10:05 PM


All replies

  • This has actually come up at least 3 or 4 times in the last couple of days (similar if not the exact same symptoms).

    Are you on CU2 for SP1?

    Either way, it seems as if it may be some sort of bug that I recommend you open a case with CSS on.

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Saturday, August 3, 2013 5:17 PM
  • I have not installed CU2 as it is not really ready for production and it does not appear to have any fix for this specific issue.   I agree this appears to be a bug as it says it will do one thing and does another.  If I could find where the setting is derived from that points it to the the internal WSUS server, I could possible change a 1 to a 0 and fix this, but alas, it is not documented.

    Mike In Vancouver

    Monday, August 5, 2013 3:36 PM
  • A reboot of the WSUS server fixed the problem in another thread.

    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, February 16, 2015 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, November 1, 2015 4:13 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 4:27 PM