none
SCM 3.0.60 vs Windows 8 - localgpo does not run on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

SCM 3.0 has Microsoft Baselines on board for Windows 8 and Windows 2012.

Have SCM and localgpo installed on Win8 machine.

But when I try to run localgpo, the following error is thrown:

"This tool only runs on Windows XP professional, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2."

Any suggestion?

Kind regards,
    Peter

Peter Geelen - Premier Field Engineer Security & Identity

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the  "Mark as Answer" of that post or click  "Vote as helpful" button of that post.
    By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter

I just saw the same issue on win2012 and I have been following this article

http://bscexp.blogspot.co.il/2012/09/backup-and-restore-local-gpo.html

Any ideas ?

10x

Haim

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:36 AM
  • I don't see that issue. When I run LocalGPO (from SCM 3.0.60) on my Windows 8 x64 instances as Admin it displays the help information and then leaves me at a command prompt. Are you running the LocalGPO from the production SCM release, on a production Win8 release?

Monday, April 29, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Hello Jim, the problem is that the LocalGPO doesn't run on Windows 2012 server, trying with the most updated SCM from microsoft (add http to technet.microsoft.com/library/cc677002.aspx)

any one find a way to make it work on the 2012, or a workaround (other tool)?

cheers,

I.

Monday, April 29, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Does anyone from microsoft willing to reply on this issue, or should we wait for Win2015 release???

Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Ilanyi, I just tested the latest LocalGPO on Server 2012 and it ran with no issues for me. Double-check that you're using LocalGPO.msi from SCM 3.0.60. The LocalGPO.msi shows a January 11, 2013 date and a size of 1,138,688 bytes.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:40 PM
  • In the LGPO folder (%Program Files% (x86)\LocalGPO), check the LocalGPO.wsf file.
    (Eg. edit with Notepad).

Check the header (<comment> section.

<comment>
        '===============================================================================
        ' *** Microsoft Solution Accelerators: Security and Compliance
        ' ***
        ' *** --------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ' *** Filename   :  LocalGPO.wsf
        ' *** --------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ' *** Description:  Applies the contents of a backup GPO to the local policy of
        ' ***               a Windows computer, or exports the Local Policy to a backup GPO
        ' *** Version    :  3.0
        ' *** Notes      : Send questions and feedback to secwish@microsoft.com 
        ' *** Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2012, All Rights Reserved
        ' ***
        '===============================================================================
      </comment>

It's should tell you "Version :3.0".

In version 3.0 there is a section in the wsf file that check the OS build version

/../

'Checks whether the operating system is Windows XP or _
            'Windows Server 2003 or Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 or _
            'Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 8 or Windows Server 8

If(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.2") and (strProductType <> "1") then
        strOS = "WS12"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.2") and (strProductType = "1") then
        strOS = "Win8"

/../

While the earlier builds will not have the 6.2 version check (sample below is 2.5)

'Checks whether the operating system is Windows XP or _
            'Windows Server 2003 or Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 or _
            'Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

If(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.1") and (strProductType <> "1") then
        strOS = "WS08R2"
            ElseIf(Left(strOpVer,3) = "6.1") and (strProductType = "1") then

I noted that after the update of SCM 3.0 you need to reinstall localGPO, it's not updated automatically with the upgrade of SCM.

If the wsf file has the wrong version, uninstall LocalGPO and reinstall the 3.0 version, with the timestamp mentioned by Jim

HTH,
    Peter

Peter Geelen (Microsoft Belgium) - Premier Field Engineer Security & Identity

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the Answered "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post.
    By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Have there been any fixes/workarounds for this? I installed a new 2012 server and downloaded the latest SCM, but receive this message. I ensured I am using the 1/11/2013 version of LocalGPO. 
    Monday, June 23, 2014 4:29 PM
  • Ahh, I see my WK12 version is 6.3.9300, not 6.2.x. So, the script halts. I edited my script to indicate 6.3 and it works. 
    Monday, June 23, 2014 4:32 PM