none
Mail Retention Policy RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a Retenion policy to delete all message older than two days in each users Deleted Items folder.  As a test, I set this up as the policy on a few test mailboxes and then filled their Deleted Items folder with old messages.

As of 24 hours later, nothing has been deleted (removed).  When does this normally run?

Thanks.

Friday, December 27, 2013 7:17 PM

Answers

• This article should be helpful regarding the managed folder assistant.  Let me know if it works for you!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123958.aspx

Friday, December 27, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Hi rudnicke,

How about the waiting?

If it still not works unfortunately, please follow me to perform troubleshooting:

1. Pleaes check whether it has Event ID 9017 and 9018, to make sure the MRM working well.

2. Please check the Managed Folder Assistant service is working well.

3. Please run the cmdlet below to check the retention policy:

Get-RetentionPolicy | fl name, RetentionPolicyTagLinks

Get-Mailbox AccountName | fl RetentionPolicy

4. Please use MFCMAPI Tool to check the "PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME" and "PR_CREATION_TIME" properties.

5.Please increase the diagnostic logging level for the MRM, and then monitor the Event in the application log.

Also providing some useful articles for your reference:

How Retention Age is Calculated

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb430780(v=exchg.150).aspx

Messaging Records Management Errors and Events

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310783(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it is helpful

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 30, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Hello Mavis,

It appears to be working.  I do not see any event ID's in the Application Logs corresponding to the ones listed in your post.

However, it seems to pick, at random, what do delete out of the Deleted Items folder.  I still have items left from five or more days ago, but I can see the actual message count in the folder decrease each day.

As for the service, I do not see one listed as Mail Folder Assistant.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Output for commands requested:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-RetentionPolicy | fl name, RetentionPolicyTagLinks

Name                    : Default MRM Policy
    RetentionPolicyTagLinks : {Recoverable Items 14 days move to archive, Never Delete, 5 Year Delete, 1 Year Delete, 6
                              Month Delete, 1 Month Delete, 1 Week Delete, Personal never move to archive, Personal 5 year
                              move to archive, Default 2 year move to archive, Personal 1 year move to archive}

Name                    : ArbitrationMailbox
    RetentionPolicyTagLinks : {Never Delete, AsyncOperationNotification, ModeratedRecipients, AutoGroup}

Name                    : Birkeys Retention Policy
    RetentionPolicyTagLinks : {Empty Junk Mail, Empty Deleted items Folder}

I'm unfamiliar with how to do 4 & 5.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:12 PM

All replies

• This article should be helpful regarding the managed folder assistant.  Let me know if it works for you!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123958.aspx

Friday, December 27, 2013 7:28 PM
  • If you moved it to deleted 24 hours ago it has not hit the 48 hour mark yet :) wait another day and it should start working.
    Friday, December 27, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Hi rudnicke,

How about the waiting?

If it still not works unfortunately, please follow me to perform troubleshooting:

1. Pleaes check whether it has Event ID 9017 and 9018, to make sure the MRM working well.

2. Please check the Managed Folder Assistant service is working well.

3. Please run the cmdlet below to check the retention policy:

Get-RetentionPolicy | fl name, RetentionPolicyTagLinks

Get-Mailbox AccountName | fl RetentionPolicy

4. Please use MFCMAPI Tool to check the "PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME" and "PR_CREATION_TIME" properties.

5.Please increase the diagnostic logging level for the MRM, and then monitor the Event in the application log.

Also providing some useful articles for your reference:

How Retention Age is Calculated

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb430780(v=exchg.150).aspx

Messaging Records Management Errors and Events

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310783(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it is helpful

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 30, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Hello Mavis,

It appears to be working.  I do not see any event ID's in the Application Logs corresponding to the ones listed in your post.

However, it seems to pick, at random, what do delete out of the Deleted Items folder.  I still have items left from five or more days ago, but I can see the actual message count in the folder decrease each day.

As for the service, I do not see one listed as Mail Folder Assistant.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Output for commands requested:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-RetentionPolicy | fl name, RetentionPolicyTagLinks

Name                    : Default MRM Policy
    RetentionPolicyTagLinks : {Recoverable Items 14 days move to archive, Never Delete, 5 Year Delete, 1 Year Delete, 6
                              Month Delete, 1 Month Delete, 1 Week Delete, Personal never move to archive, Personal 5 year
                              move to archive, Default 2 year move to archive, Personal 1 year move to archive}

Name                    : ArbitrationMailbox
    RetentionPolicyTagLinks : {Never Delete, AsyncOperationNotification, ModeratedRecipients, AutoGroup}

Name                    : Birkeys Retention Policy
    RetentionPolicyTagLinks : {Empty Junk Mail, Empty Deleted items Folder}

I'm unfamiliar with how to do 4 & 5.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:12 PM