Single Windows 10 user (for touch computer) without elevated command prompt RRS feed

• Question

• As a single home user, in setting up Windows 10 I was not aware there is a hidden administrator who controls changes to the system.  I discovered this when I went to  open the check disk function.  I have spent hours trying different prescribed methods found online online for ogetting access to the elevated command prompt - but all end saying I don't have the priviledge.  In another approach, my computer tells me I do not have access to luscr.msc and to instead go to account change.  Here's the kicker.  Once there, I am not allowed to change from "standard" to "administrator"  - this is a Catch 22 since I am the only registered user of the system.  HELP - I'm not techie, but I'm also not a complete dummy.  MAB
    Friday, February 5, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

• The default administrator account is disabled by default.

If you have only a standard account, i recommend you to start the machine in safe mode. If your computer doesn't find any administrator account, the default admin will be activated.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Then you can change your user account from "standard" to "administrator".

Sunday, February 7, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

You need to enable the built-in administrator account. After that, log into the built-in administrator account and you will have the permission to run check disk.

Please right click "This PC" > "Manage" > "Local users and groups" > “Users". Then you will find the built-in administrator account. Double click the account and uncheck of the option of "Account is disabled".

In addition to that, you could open the Command Prompt by right clicking it and choosing "Run as administrator". Then the command will be run as administrator. 

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 8, 2016 3:19 AM

All replies

• The default administrator account is disabled by default.

If you have only a standard account, i recommend you to start the machine in safe mode. If your computer doesn't find any administrator account, the default admin will be activated.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Then you can change your user account from "standard" to "administrator".

Sunday, February 7, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

You need to enable the built-in administrator account. After that, log into the built-in administrator account and you will have the permission to run check disk.

Please right click "This PC" > "Manage" > "Local users and groups" > “Users". Then you will find the built-in administrator account. Double click the account and uncheck of the option of "Account is disabled".

In addition to that, you could open the Command Prompt by right clicking it and choosing "Run as administrator". Then the command will be run as administrator. 

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 8, 2016 3:19 AM