none
HIS 2010 SNA Connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm new to HIS and SNA connectivity.  I've built an EE connection from my  HIS server to a mainframe but now would like other clients on my LAN to leverage this same connection.  Can you do this through a native emulation client?  I'm assuming yes since there is a TN3270 piece in the SNA Manager.  I'm not having any success using either c3270 from a UX server or the native HIS client emulation in a remote client install.  If this works I'm assuming the connection would be IP using 3270 emulation to the HIS and then its converted to the SNA emulation over EE to the mainframe, almost like two connections?

Thanks!

Fred

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:31 PM

Answers

• I'm glad you got it worked out. I should indicated "Application LU (LUA)" above instead of just saying LUA LUs. Old habits. <g>

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by FredWitt02 Friday, January 25, 2013 2:23 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:11 PM

All replies

• I should also add if I'm on the server its self and I run the client tools I can connect using the 3270 emulator and the "SNA Server Connection".  Basically just looking to extend the SNA server connection to remote machines.

Thanks!

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:32 PM
  • Hi,

what do you mean by extending ?

Using for example a TN3270 emulation through HIS ? or Executing CICS Transactions ?

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Hi Steve, yes, using a TN3270 emulation through HIS, for example from a client desktop not directly on the HIS server.

Thanks for replying Steve!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Hi Fred,

That's a basic scenario. The TN3270 emulator will connect to HIS SNA-Manager TN3270 Service. That one will forward the request to the SNA Stack to go out to the Mainframe using SNA over IP. This would work greatly. In addition you have to possibility to assign workstations and/or users to a pool or single LU.

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Thanks Steve!  That's what I thought would happen however; i'm receiving the following error:

TN3270(E) session with client at x.x.x.x (port 36758) using LU <none> terminated abnormally because:
     04 Requested LU is not configured.

EXPLANATION
     A TN3270(E) client session was terminated abnormally.

ACTION
     No action is necessary.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:03 PM
  • As an overview, here are the basic steps to setting up TN3270:

- Install and configure a link service on the HIS Server.

- Create a host connection to the mainframe using the link service that was setup.

- The host connection needs to be configured to use a PU in VTAM that has the 3270 display/printer LUs that you will be using.

- You create LUA LUs (not 3270 LUs) in SNA Manager for the connection that you have created.

- You assign the LUA LUs to the TN3270 Service in SNA Manager.

- You configure the TN3270 Service to use the port that you want to use for the TN3270 sessions. It seems that you want to use port 36758. Port 23 is the default.

- Start the SNA Server service, the connection, and the TN3270 Service. Make sure the connection starts and the LUs show an Available status.

- Once everything is running and active, configure a TN3270 Emulator to connect to the TN3270 Service by specifying the Server name or IP Address and the port that the TN3270 Service is listening on.

- Try to connect to a TN3270 session.

Note: You can use the 3270 Client on the HIS Server (in TN3270E mode) to test the setup before going to a remote TN3270 Client.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Thank you very much Stephen for the detailed explanation.  I followed all of it except for the following:

The host connection needs to be configured to use a PU in VTAM that has the 3270 display/printer LUs that you will be using.

And I think that's my problem.  When I look at the available LU's I see the TN3270 client filed with all n/a for all of the LU's defined.  Would you mind elaborating on the aforementioned step (which seems to be my problem).  

I truly appreciate the time!

Thank you!

Fred

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:44 PM
  • I was able to figure it out - my problem was I was creating all display LU's and not Application LU's (rookie mistake).  It all makes much more sense now and I have learned a great deal about SNA.  Thank you both Stephen and Steve for so graciously donating your time to help an SNA/HIS newbie.  I truly do appreciate your help and expertise.

Best,

Fred

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:03 PM
  • I'm glad you got it worked out. I should indicated "Application LU (LUA)" above instead of just saying LUA LUs. Old habits. <g>

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by FredWitt02 Friday, January 25, 2013 2:23 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:11 PM