none
SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am in the process of planning to update our SBS server to SBS 2011 Standard. My question is, can we keep the same server name during this process. If not what will I need to keep an eye out for when this is complete. More will most likely follow as I think and read some more. :)

Than you,

Tom

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Probably best to start with the Sticky Post in this forum called;

"Looking for migration documents and information?"

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:19 PM
  • No. Download the official manual and follow this website (which is excellent): http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2011/05/sbs-2003-to-sbs-2011-migration-guide.html
    • Proposed as answer by infused Monday, November 21, 2011 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rick TanModerator Monday, November 28, 2011 2:59 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:23 PM
  • NO "infused".

While your link is clearly informative and valuable, it is not the sole source of information on the subject. It may  have served you well and you are entilted to your recommendation, but unilaterally declaring others as wrong is not suitable advise.

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:42 PM
  • I meant No to "My question is, can we keep the same server name during this process." and suggested the official manual AND that website.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Replying to the original post instead of mine would have indicated that intent more clearly.

/kj
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Just wanted to say thank you for your responses.

So I cannot keep the same name on the server, is there anything I need to keep an eye out for since I cannot. The only real shares on the server are the printers.

Thank you again,

Tom

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:53 PM
  • As I said, there are alternatives and one is a swing migration, and third party solutions;

http://www.sbsmigration.com/pages/44/

The size of your enviroment, budget, support, and migration windows all may play a part in your decision about how to go about accomplishing your objective.

/kj
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I understand there are third party solutions, expecially the swing that everyone keeps pushing. Makes me think people get paid everytime they type it.

I have all the information you mention, just asking if there is anything I should keep an eye out for. Hoping that there was someone on here that has done this before and can speak from experience.

Tom

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:29 PM