windows 7 startup and gameplay freezing RRS feed

• Question

• My computer will randomly (it seems) freeze at the 'Starting Windows' screen when I boot it. when it does freeze i will have to do a hard reset and when i get logged in it will again randomly freeze while playing games, again requiring a hard reset. these seem to be the only two areas where its freezing aside from a time i started it in safe mode and it froze on the desktop. i have run system restore, updated drivers, reseated my memory and gpu, and even reinstalled windows and the problem still persists.

i have also run the heaven dx11 stress test to see if my video card is bad, but it didnt freeze after 3 hours so im assuming its not hardware. anyone have any suggestions? all feedback greatly appreciated, thanks.

btw nothing is overclocked

RIG:

ASUS Sabertooth p67

intel core i7 2600k 3.40ghz quad core (liquid cooled)

8gb ddr3 1600mhz

500gb 7200rpm hdd

NVIDIA Gefore GTX 570 1.2GB

Windows 7 home premium 64-bit

Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:42 PM

Answers

• Check the support website of the manufacturer of your NVIDIA Gefore GTX 570 for a firmware update which may be available.  Also, download and install ASUS Sabertooth P67 BIOS 3302 update dated 2012.05.22.

Carey Frisch

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

Did this issue occur before? It can be caused by incompatible driver or third party tools.

I suggest to perform these tests to narrow down the issue:

1 Unplug all unnecessary hardware and logon with Safe Mode to see if the same issue occurs.

2 If it runs well on Safe Mode, you can logon with Clean Boot then.

Furthermore, please update BIOS and Chipset to the latest version, also update all the drivers.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, August 3, 2012 9:20 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:09 AM

All replies

• Check the support website of the manufacturer of your NVIDIA Gefore GTX 570 for a firmware update which may be available.  Also, download and install ASUS Sabertooth P67 BIOS 3302 update dated 2012.05.22.

Carey Frisch

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

Did this issue occur before? It can be caused by incompatible driver or third party tools.

I suggest to perform these tests to narrow down the issue:

1 Unplug all unnecessary hardware and logon with Safe Mode to see if the same issue occurs.

2 If it runs well on Safe Mode, you can logon with Clean Boot then.

Furthermore, please update BIOS and Chipset to the latest version, also update all the drivers.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, August 3, 2012 9:20 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:09 AM