How to determine who last edited a webpart page? RRS feed

• Question

• I navigated to a list on a site on our intranet, only to discover the content area was blank! Somebody must have done Site Actions > Edit Page and then deleted the webpart that contained the list.  Is there a way to find out a Modified By and Modified Date on a page?  This was not a custom page, it is just the default page that renders the list.

Also, there is something odd about this page.  There is no View list.  Perhaps there is some connection?

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To check "Modified by" of a page, 

you may access to "Site Action" -> "Manage Content and Structure"

In "Content and Structure" page, access to the library that store your page(normally is "Pages" library under your site)

Then you may see the "modified by" in the table.

If not, View properties of the item, then you will find "modified by" in the bottom of properties page. 

• Proposed as answer by Thilosh V N Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by run4it Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Warren Friday, November 25, 2011 5:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven AndrewsEditor Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In "Content and Structure" page, access to the library that store your page(normally is "Pages" library under your site)

If not, View properties of the item, then you will find "modified by" in the bottom of properties page. 

• Proposed as answer by Thilosh V N Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by run4it Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Warren Friday, November 25, 2011 5:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven AndrewsEditor Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:17 AM
  • I agree with FunLee, in addition to that . You can also enable the versioning settings from Pages Library -  settings - Versioning settings 

This will help you to restore the Original page at any given point of time. 

Let us know if this helps. Thanks 

Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:12 AM
  • I do not have Manage Structure & Content available to me in this team site.  Nor do I have a custom pages library. 
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:10 PM
  • You'll need to active the Publishing feature on your root site or the appropriate site level then.  This will make those features available.
    Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi run4it,

You may access to item properties of the page to view the modify detail.

To access the properties page:

Method 1:

1. if you page is (http://mySP/myDept/pages/mypage.aspx), then access to the maintenance page by (http://mySP/myDept/pages/mypage.aspx?contents=1)

2. In the navigation header (It may be "mySP > myDept > pages > mypage > Web Part Page Maintenance")
    click "pages" then you will access to the pages library.

Method 2:

1. if you page is (http://mySP/myDept/pages/mypage.aspx), then access to the pages library by (http://mySP/myDept/pages/forms/AllItems.aspx)

Friday, November 25, 2011 2:57 AM
  • If you use SharePoint Designer you will be able to open the site and navigate the page in question and see all of it's details, including the last modified time and user.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 11:31 AM
  • Steven, I am trying to use Designer as you described. In the Folder List, I have navigated to my List. In the center section of Designer, it then shows the Content of my list - the AllItems.aspx, DispForm.aspx, etc.  They all show a Modified Date of last December which was when the page was originally made. It appears that this date does not refelct any modification to the page in terms of the modification of web parts on the page.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 5:00 PM
  • FunLee, in your examples  "/pages/" refers to a pages library?  I do not have a Pages library.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

The page in question is the site main page, "default.aspx", and none of these techniques apply. It is not in a pages library, and publishing is not activated. When I look at the properties page using "?contents=1", there is nothing at the bottom of the page indicating the most recent user who modified it. When I use SharePoint Designer, all I see is the creation date from six years ago, and I know the page has been modified weekly since then. When I use "Content and Structure", there again is only a creation date, no modified by date/time information. And there are no properties of the page to select.

Is there any way to determine who the last person was who modified the default.aspx page?

thank you,

Keith Vollero

Monday, June 10, 2013 6:54 PM