none
Folder redirection question

Question

• There is a option in Folder redirection policy to - Move contents to new location.

What is the detailed use to this option. Does it only work when the server mentioned in folder redirection policy is changed?

We recently built a new profile server. I unchecked the option to move contents to new location, since I did not want the data in the old profile server and also I was getting some errors. However should I enable this option now, since now the users have logged into without errors?

If I do not enable this option, will folder redirection not work? I mean to say that will contents not be copied from the users machine to the new profile server?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Samb,

Based on my test. The duplicate folders will be generated when uncheck the option “Move the contents of %filename% to the new location”.

In addition, in my opinion, the sentence, “Clear the Move contents... checkbox on each of the redirected folders. Side effect of this is that the folders can remain in the user's profile where they can see duplicated names when viewing the user's files.” means uncheck the option Move contents… will generate duplicate folders which result in slow login.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 11, 2016 5:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Samb,

For detailed information, you could refer to these articles below.

How to Configure Folder Redirection

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782799(v=ws.10).aspx

Folder Redirection Overview

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732275.aspx

If I do not enable this option, will folder redirection not work? I mean to say that will contents not be copied from the users machine to the new profile server?

>>>If you do not configure the policy, the profile of user will only store in local machine, the user logon other machine with new profile when you do not configure the policy.

In addition, I notice that there is an old profile server in your environment, if you have configured redirect folder policy before and you want to redirect those files to new location, you need redirect these files to local userprofile location first, so that you could redirect these files to new location.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:59 AM
  • I have enabled the folder redirection policy. I am only concerned about the Move contents to new location check box. If it is not checked, will folder redirection not work?
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 5:17 AM
  • Hi Samb,

I have test for this, and folder redirection still work.

In addition, I have found the article below may be helpful to you.

Folder Redirection functionality "Move Content to new location"  can lead to dataloss

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2749718

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Can someone assist me in understanding the impact of checking and unchecking the "Move contents to new location" option for existing and new users?
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Hi Samb,

I have tested for the checkbox.

If you do not check “Move the contents of %filename% to the new location”, the subfolder of the folder which you want to redirect will not redirect to the new location.

For example, if you want to redirect the Desktop folder to a new location, and there are some folders on desktop. You do not check “Move the contents of desktop to the new location”, these folders on desktop will not redirect to the new location.

In addition, if do so like above. You will not see these folders on desktop when you logon client. But when you redirect Desktop folder to local userprofile location, they will turn back.

Best Regards,

Jay

Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:27 AM
  • Thanks a lot for testing. However what I wanted to know is in the scenario of changing the server on which folder redirection is done. Below is the scenario:1. We have an already existing OU in which folder redirection is set for Citrix users.2. We created a new OU and new servers were built in this new OU. We created a GPO to redirect folders to the new location on the new OU.I do not need the data from the old server to be copied to the new server.Now when some users login, I get the error:Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Desktop" to "\\server2\Profiles$\test\Desktop".Redirection options=0x1211. The following error occurred: "Failed to copy files from "\\server1\Profiles$\test\Desktop" to "\\server2\Profiles$\test\Desktop"". Error details: "The system cannot find the file specified. The below article says: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX133595/ to uncheck the Move contents option but duplicate folders can be created. However: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/2533930 says that duplicate folders will be created if this option is not checked.
    These two articles are a little confusing and do not describe what causes the duplicate folders to appear. Currently I have unchecked the option and I am no more getting the error. However I want to enable the option again. I want to know if any duplicates will be created now when I check the option.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:51 AM
  • Hi Samb,

Based on my test. The duplicate folders will be generated when uncheck the option “Move the contents of %filename% to the new location”.

In addition, in my opinion, the sentence, “Clear the Move contents... checkbox on each of the redirected folders. Side effect of this is that the folders can remain in the user's profile where they can see duplicated names when viewing the user's files.” means uncheck the option Move contents… will generate duplicate folders which result in slow login.

Best Regards,

Jay

Monday, April 11, 2016 5:48 AM