Lync crashes with SideBySide Error 35 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Office 2010 and 2013 side-by-side, and ever since the installation of 2013 Lync has been crashing whenever I try to create or reply to a message.  The error in the event log is:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\lync.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\UccApi.DLL" on line 1. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="15.0.0.0". Definition is UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="15.0.0.0". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

The EventID is 35, and the Source is "SideBySide".  I have tried re-running the installer, but the error persists.

Monday, September 29, 2014 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• It seems Lync is an MS Office application and not a part of the Windows 7 operating system: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/getting-started-with-lync-2013-FX103299702.aspx

Therefore the appropriate place to discuss your situation with Lync is in the MS Office forums found @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=officeitpro%2Cvisio2010%2Cgrooveserveritpro

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, September 30, 2014 5:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by EMMmmmmmm Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:24 PM
    Monday, September 29, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

The link below explains the cause of the similiar error message, would like to share it with you

Event ID 35: SidebySide

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3574.event-id-35-sidebyside.aspx

Better discussion forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/home

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 5:26 AM
  • I had the same issue on my laptop, but while checking some other issues changed the screen refresh setting in the Intel Graphics Control Panel from 40 Hz to 60 Hz. solved this issue for me. Changing between the refresh rates also made the Lync 2013 client crash. I was able to replicate the issue, so it is related.

Also check that the screen does not revert back to 40 Hz. when unplugging the laptop in the power options portion of the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:24 PM
  • I basically had the same error while running Office Professional Plus 2013, I did not have another version of the product such as 2010 installed. The Lync related SidebySide errors would start after logging on, and you could see them in the even viewer, but I wasn't using Lync at home, never even had it open. I found that you could try to keep Lync from starting automatically with it's options, although eventually something perhaps Outlook would start it again and another group of SidebySide errors would appear.

I tried the local office repair, then the more extensive internet repair, but those did not help. I tried to re-register the UccApi.dll but that did not work. I tired the following hotfixes (kb2760512 & kb2768004), but they were not applicable for my build 15.0.4433.1508. I checked for patch kb2889929, but it was not installed (some reported an issue with the last patch automatically being added through Windows Updates).

I wanted to uninstall just Lync, but Microsoft in their wisdom decided to not allow users to easily remove one component like you could in the past. So I removed the whole Office install, thinking I could reinstall it without Lync. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't allow de-selections during the install either, unless you create specific configuration files with the office deployment tool. So Microsoft went out of their way to make sure you enjoy every feature of Office 2013.

I am happy to report that the number of SideBySide errors have gone down greatly after downloading and running the 015CTRRemove or MicrosoftFixit50450.msi, then reinstalling office by using setup with the /admin switch. The switch doesn't give you any more options without the Office Customization Tool (OCT), but that's how I ran the setup. I have used Office for a few days and things looked good. Then I started to use Outlook more, and the problem resurface. I would get one instance of Application Event ID 35, but only when using Outlook, usually the first time I would open it during the day.

In my case nothing crashed, so unless I looked at the event viewer I didn't know the error was being logged. I was still bothered by the fact it would happen, although after the steps above the frequency was greatly reduced. Also it is not consistent, the error did not happen every time I opened Outlook, but during the days I did not use Outlook the error did not happen at all. Just recently I read something that suggested I should run Outlook as an Administrator by going to properties, Compatibility and checking the box that has "Run this program as an administrator". I am a local Admin on the workstation, but Outlook normally runs in at a reduced privilege level.

Note: I do not have any .Net Frame Work versions installed in Programs and Features on my workstation (Windows 7 Pro SP1). I only have Visual C++ 2005 and 2010 Redistributable installed. So I do not think the problem was necessarily .Net Frame Work related, but it was some other type of mismatch. Also I do not use Movie Maker, which was reported to have issues in some cases.

Update: The elevated permission level did not solve the issue. I received saw one message in the
    Application Event logs this morning that stated-

"Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested"

The problem seems to be a coding error on the part of original Microsoft programmer who created the Lync manifest:

Change the processor architecture from {processorArchitecture="*" to processorArchitecture="x86"}, which should be the correct reference for the
    uccapi.dll dependency as shown below in the LYNC.EXE.MANIFEST.

<dependency>
        <dependentAssembly asmv2:codebase="uccapi.dll">
          <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="UccApi" version="15.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>

The event log error is pretty specific- Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\microsoft office 15\root\office15\lync.exe.Manifest". Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\microsoft office 15\root\office15\UccApi.DLL" on line 1.

Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested.

Reference is UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="15.0.0.0".
    Definition is UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="15.0.0.0".
    Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 4:18 PM
  • I had the same issue...

user was not admin on the station.

by adding the user to Local Admin case was solved.

Sunday, December 13, 2015 3:32 PM
  • This is a Windows 7, Internet Explorer 11, and Lync/Skype for Business error and all THOSE other forums link to this discussion as an "answer".

Apparently we have a vicious circle of linking to each application's error without anyone at Microsoft actually answering/solving the problem.

If I could vote "not an answer" I would in all the topics that start out with this problem.

Randall

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Please follow the below instructions.  It worked for me.

https://fazarsusanto.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/office-365-skype-for-business-dns-issue/#comment-327

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:40 PM