none
Offline files - slow link mode - sync new files often

Question

• Hello all, 

I've deployed  Offline files through group policy and setted up slow link when connection speed is below 10Gbps, just everytime.

Folder si offline but when I add new file the file is synced to server within 10 or 20 minutes. I've checked last sync interval but it didn't change. It isn't same as time when file was uploaded to server. Last sync was eq. 16:00 but file was uploaded at 16:15.

Folder is still offline. How is it possible?

THank you.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:44 PM

Answers

• So the behavior for new files(same for rename) is different then upload during sync interval. Is it right?

Yes, it use Bitmap Differential Transfer that is not used when synchronizing changes from the server to the local cache. If a file is modified on the server when you are offline, Offline Files in client will copy the whole file to your local cache during synchronization.

Bitmap Differential Transfer works only for pre-existing files and not for files that were created while working offline. Because of this limitation, files modified with applications that do not modify the file in place will not work with Bitmap Differential Transfer. For example, Microsoft® Word creates a temporary file that is used to replace the original file. These types of files are considered new, and they are copied in their entirety from the local cache to the server.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tomas Cinki Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Tomas,

You can change your background sync interval as the following group policy:

It won't sync immediately, it will update and sync when it's time to the interval.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 10:07 AM
  • Hi, 

I've already setted up. This is my values(sorry for czech language):

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 10:12 AM
  • Hi Tomas,

Were these files working online or offline status? Did this issue occurred on one computer or all?

Check your Event viewer\Applications and Service Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Offline Files\Operational log to see if your Windows was into Offline mode, even on the LAN.  

If yes, manually make it connected to see if it can be synced immediately.

Then clear up your temporarily offline files and disable the offline files on client, then adding the value to the following registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Csc\Parameters

FormatDatabase(DWORD) =0.

Afterwards, reboot the computer to enable the offline files  then second reboot the computer to check the result.

For the similar thread, read here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/67d36d92-b630-45c5-82ce-6e89c5892cbf/windows-7-offline-files-do-not-sync-real-time-while-online?forum=w7itpronetworking

Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Hi Karen, 

files were offline. I've configured "always offline" mode even on LAN where latencies are <1ms. I had to set up "Throughput=10000000000" and then folder is always offline. I've checked Offline files\operational  logs. There aren't any logs about offline state but folder is offline.

I've changed it to online mode a then copy file. File was copied to server immediately. When folder is offline, file is copied within 10 or 20 minute.

I would like to set up offline files like "still offline" mode and upload\sync new files one per 8 hours, but it didn't work. I think that there is difference between sync and uploading new files because file was upladed but time of last sync didn't change.

I'm testing deployment on one computer.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Hi, 

I've just tested it on computer with Windows 10 through VPN connection and behavior was same. File was uploaded within 10 minutes. I've changed my offline status(reason why offline- slow link\work offline) but it was same. File was within 10 minutes uploaded.

There isn't synchronization because when I delete file in same time, delete file is still on server. So new file is uploaded but deleted file isn't remove from server.

I don't know maybee this is just "normal" behavior of Offline files.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:25 PM
  • I've tested it with editing file, deleting file and copy new file. This behavior(upload file) is only for new files. When I change or delete file it doesn't change on sever within 10 minutes but new new file is uploaded meanwhile.

So the behavior for new files(same for rename) is different then upload during sync interval. Is it right?

• Edited by Tomas Cinki Friday, August 17, 2018 9:08 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2018 9:08 AM

• So the behavior for new files(same for rename) is different then upload during sync interval. Is it right?

Yes, it use Bitmap Differential Transfer that is not used when synchronizing changes from the server to the local cache. If a file is modified on the server when you are offline, Offline Files in client will copy the whole file to your local cache during synchronization.

Bitmap Differential Transfer works only for pre-existing files and not for files that were created while working offline. Because of this limitation, files modified with applications that do not modify the file in place will not work with Bitmap Differential Transfer. For example, Microsoft® Word creates a temporary file that is used to replace the original file. These types of files are considered new, and they are copied in their entirety from the local cache to the server.

• Marked as answer by Tomas Cinki Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:21 AM