none
DCOM and user name and password issue.

Question

• You cannot vote on your own post                    

I have an application that I need some assistance with.  The application is called System Architect (it was once owned by IBM but now is owned by Unicom). The issue is a very strange one. There is a file in the DCOM area that it has. I have played around with the settings with it as we are having issues trying to log into the web application of System Architect. The only way I have been able to get it to work is to specify a system account I have set up as the user to run the application. When I set the password it looks like it accepts it and allows the user to log in as an updater for a short while. When the polices are ran on the server it stops allowing user to log in as an updater. I check the error logs and I am getting a bad user name or password. Now here is the strange part (as if it is not already strange), when I place the password in and apply it I think that the system is placing another password in its place , like a default one. Does DCOM have such a setting somewhere (I have looked all over for it and I cannot find it if it does)? Where can this be turned off? I need my application to work all the time and have users be able to use the application.  That password needs to be saved and not over written as I think it is.  Please, can someone help me as I am about at my wits end. Everyone I have talked to so far does not have a clue.

Thanks a ton. 

Lee Ann
    Monday, June 11, 2018 6:34 PM

All replies

•   

There is a file in the DCOM area that it has.

What is meant here? What was the original error? Something here might also help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929650/how-to-use-spns-when-you-configure-web-applications-that-are-hosted-on

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 11, 2018 7:09 PM
  • The file is called SA2001.lexus file.  I am not familiar with DCOM much at all.  I have an impersonator account that the application uses to log in.  I go to the web application and attempt to login as updater.  Like I said things work for a while until system policies are ran and things go crazy.  Here is what I received in the error logs (I removed our server name but that should not effect anything).  What I do not get is that when I save the password in that file it does not stay there.  There is something changing it.  I have taken a look at the link you provided, not sure it will help.  Here is the errors I get when I attempt to log in as an updater on the web application after the polices have been ran, I have included both the system log error and the Application log error.  I can go back into that file in the DCOM and reenter the password but that will do no good as the next time the policies are ran it will reset.  :(

+ System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
       [ Guid]  {1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}
       [ EventSourceName]  DCOM

- EventID 10004

[ Qualifiers]  0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2018-06-11T19:28:24.755787600Z

EventRecordID 419980

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  760
       [ ThreadID]  9376

Channel System

Computer Server.xxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxxx

Security

- EventData

param1 1385
      param2 XXX
      param3 SAXTUSERNAME
      param4 {45A72F04-84E3-4348-84BB-AC2D77D34D7E}

I also get this error in the System Architect logs which looks like it is having an issue with the user name or password.

6/11/2018 2:28:24 PM Login Exception 10 = SAException.SAWrapperException ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {45A72F04-84E3-4348-84BB-AC2D77D34D7E} failed due to the following error: 8000401a The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000401A).
       at SAWrapper.SAapplication.StartSA()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at SAWrapper.SAapplication.StartSA()
       at SAWrapper.SAapplication.OpenEncyclopediaByArgs(Int64 lEncyType, String sServer, String sEncyclopedia, String sUserName, String sPassword, Boolean bWindowsSecurity, String sAuthUser, String sAuditId)
       at SAXT.SAManager.OpenEncyclopediaByArgs(Int64 lEncyType, String sServer, String sEncyclopedia, String sUserName, String sPassword, Boolean bWindowsSecurity, String sAuthUser, String sAuditId)
       at SAXT.DefaultPage.btnLogin_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Monday, June 11, 2018 7:51 PM
  • I'll assume you're doing this on the Identity tab. I'd think it should be radio button for "launching user" and possibly some custom setup on the Security tab but this is a guess, there's really no way for us to know what's correct, only the application developer or support is going to know the correct setup for their product.

As to the policy maybe your system admins will know what is being pushed that might be conflicting.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 11, 2018 8:21 PM
  • Yes I am setting the user name and password in the Identity tab.  When I use "launching user" the application has issues trying to access the encyclopedia when you log in as updater (it comes up with "error opening encyclopedia".  When I use the "this user" option I can place the user name and password in and use the application until the policies get ran and it uses whatever that unknown password it seems to paste in the field.  I have asked the vendor for assistance, I have asked our network/server people for assistance and I cannot seem to get anywhere.  I still cannot see how I can set a password in that field and it accept it but places another password in that field.  I have almost pulled all my hair out with this and I have looked all over the earth for a solution but none has been found.

I do feel one thing though.  I upgraded this software right before IBM sold it off to Unicom.  I think there might be a bug in it that is causing this.  We currently do not have a license with Unicom, we still have it with IBM.  We are working ion getting the license through Unicom.  I hope when we get that we can upgrade the software to the more current and stable version.  But I have been fighting this issue for a very long time and I am a person that does not give up until all avenues have been exhausted and the I still look.  It is a curse, I know.  So maybe I will just be patient and wait until I have the newer version of the software. 

Thanks for the help.

Lee Ann

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 3:55 PM
  • So maybe I will just be patient and wait until I have the newer version of the software. 

Sounds good then. Once the licensing is solved you can also get the vendor support you need.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 4:01 PM
  • Thanks again.  It really mystifies me though as to why the password I type in will not keep.  When I first started to play with the properties of this file we could not log in at all though the web application.  When I used the impersonator account for the user name I was so excited.  I has the user test and he stated to me he was able to go in and change things.  The next morning it would not work.  It took a bit of investigating and found out that when the polices ran is when the application stopped accepting users logging in as updater.  Our server people stated that polices were doing nothing to DCOM.  I also found out that when I placed the password in the box it was not the same one that was there after I saved it.  That really had me scratching my head.  Really strange and I hate it that I am so obsessed with it, but that is my curse.....  I don't like giving up.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:12 PM
  • You may be able to capture the change via ProcMon

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:07 PM