DFS Root Permission problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’ve got DFSR and NS between two 2003 R2 servers.

I’ve setup a DFS namespace called \\domain.net\data-it

Under this I’ve setup a DFS folder called request

This folder has two targets, one on each DFS server (say data1 and data2)

The share permissions on the folder targets are

Everyone – read, change

The NTFS permissions are

Administrators – Full control

Creator owner – special

DV-Request – Everything but Full control

System – Full control

These permission replicated fine via DFSR

Now the group DV-Request is an AD security group used to control access to this share. But this doesn’t seem to be working, a user in the group cannot access the share using \\domain.net\data-it\request or directly via the server using \\data01\request$

But if I add the users account directly into the NTFS permission for the share, they can access via both methods... How Crazy is that?

I’m really confused here, This method of using AD groups is what I’ve always used but it doesn’t work. Has anyone seen this before?

ZeniTimes

Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:52 AM

Answers

• Well, this seems to have fixed itself. I guess patience was the solution.

I've got a massive Data server migration to do and this is not going to help with downtime. Do you know why this would take so long? and is there anyway I could speed this up?

Friday, November 19, 2010 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi ZeniTimes,

The issue should not relate to DFS as you cannot access it using \\data01\request$.

Can you logon one of the users in the group on server and access the folder locally (with sahre to DV-Request but not the user)?

Also I would like to know if the group belong to any other groups in AD Users and Computers.

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, November 19, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Well, this seems to have fixed itself. I guess patience was the solution.

I've got a massive Data server migration to do and this is not going to help with downtime. Do you know why this would take so long? and is there anyway I could speed this up?

Friday, November 19, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

You can check whether staging folder is large enough to hold large file.

Also you can do a pre-staging to finish the initial replication instead of waiting DFS-R to finish it:

How to use the Backup program to prestage data before DFSR synchronization in Windows Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947726

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:47 AM