Set pagefile size to 1.5x RAM RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi guys,

Could not find another forum for this. Trying to automate Server 2012 R2 deployments, in our normal checklist for deploying an OS, someone has to go in and set the pagefile to 1.5x RAM on server. Majority of our servers have 4GB, but can vary +/- a few GBs. What I am looking for is something I can have run from Altiris to query amount of RAM installed and then set pagefile initial & max to 1.5x RAM installed. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Changed type Bill_Stewart Monday, March 16, 2015 9:09 PM Discussion
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:00 PM

All replies

• Page file on Vista and later systems is managed by Windows.  When setting a staic page file 1.5 is the minimum and not at al performance conscious.

If you are truly interested in performance add a separate drive for the page file.   Make it a fast 15000RPM drive and your page file ill be efficient.

Yes we used to do that to prevent fragmentation. Windows now does a much better job of managing the page file.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:40 AM
  • An example of moving the pagefile to a new drive and setting a size: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2008/04/server-core-move-that-swappage-file-wmi.html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:53 AM
  • JRV,

Everything I've found on TechNet says the same that 2008 and above has improved very much on the way it automatically handles the pagefile. I have conveyed that to our server manager, but he still thinks that we should be setting a static size. I'm still trying to sway him. If we have a large static pagefile, we usually do move those to another drive. 90% of our data center is virtual. But still looking for a way to automate it in the event he overthrows my recommendation and insists that we set at 1.5x. 

Thursday, February 12, 2015 4:45 PM
  • If you are requesting that someone write a script for you, here's the place where you can request it:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/site/requests

This forum is for scripting questions rather than requests.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:14 PM