none
Gantt Chart - Start date in weeks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to have one of my tasks in my Gantt Chart have a start date in weeks. Say I want Task 4 to start in week 5 of the project, is that possible? Instead of having to calculate the week 5 equivalent date and then input that.

Also is it possible to do say the following "Task 7 starts in Week 3 of Task 4"?

Monday, November 14, 2016 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For the first question, yes, you can set the date format to be like Wk1, Wk2, Wkn.

See this post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/project/2012/01/03/share-a-schedule-without-revealing-actual-dates/ 

For the second question, the answer is also yes. You can create a "start to start"dependency between 2 tasks. It will make the task starting at the same time, running in parallel. Then if you add a lag in weeks, task 2 will start n weeks after task 1. You can follow the procedure in the link below, or simply enter in the predecessor column for task 7: 4SS+3w (assuming the predecessor ID is 4).

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-lead-or-lag-time-to-a-task-692fde75-0734-47b6-a259-e87aa1a538f4

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, November 14, 2016 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

I appreciate the reply. Helped out a lot. At the moment when I set the date format to 4/W04, I believe it uses the weeks in term of the year. How do I get my project start date to be Week 1 and all other tasks Weeks be relative to the project weeks and not the calendar year weeks

Monday, November 14, 2016 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

It actually uses the week numbers starting from the project start date you enter in the "project" tab, "project information".

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 14, 2016 10:21 PM
  • Doesn't seem to be working. I set my start date as 2nd April and it's showing up as W13. 
    Monday, November 14, 2016 11:05 PM
  • I was refering to the timescale in the Gantt chart. If you double click on the timescale, you'll be able to choose "w1, w2 from start" for your Gantt timescale.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:31 AM