Deleting WIN.INI, WIN.ctx and inifile.upd files for every user RRS feed

• Question

• After running a few OffCAT scans, the generated reports showed me that there were 'orphaned' files left behind in the Outlook Secure Temp Folder.

Since most of the files were PDF files, it made me wonder if I could 'just' delete WIN.INI, WIN.ctx and inifile.upd files without any consequences. Those last three files can be found in almost every user profile and that is what is making me hesitant to delete them.

So is it possible to just delete those files? ( I will of course back them up before deleting)

Monday, March 21, 2016 10:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my experience, WIN.INI, WIN.ctx and inifile.upd files get added once a user has logged onto another system via terminal server client or citrix client. Certain things have to be in play for them to be generated, but they describe the connection environment for the client and keep track of configurations. I believe that if they are deleted, they will be recreated, but any customizations of the environment would be lost.

Regarding the reports error “there were 'orphaned' files left behind in the Outlook Secure Temp Folder.” You could refer to the following steps to locate the Outlook Secure Temp Folder and delete the related 'orphaned' files.

Step 1: Locate the folder

The folder location is stored in the registry in the following key:

Outlook 2007 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security

Outlook 2010 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security

Outlook 2013 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Security

Step 2: Get to the folder

1. Open the OutlookSecureTempFolder registry key from the location provided in Step 1.

2. Copy the path from the key.

3. Open Explorer.

4. Paste the address in the Address Bar and press Enter.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alvwan Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my experience, WIN.INI, WIN.ctx and inifile.upd files get added once a user has logged onto another system via terminal server client or citrix client. Certain things have to be in play for them to be generated, but they describe the connection environment for the client and keep track of configurations. I believe that if they are deleted, they will be recreated, but any customizations of the environment would be lost.

Regarding the reports error “there were 'orphaned' files left behind in the Outlook Secure Temp Folder.” You could refer to the following steps to locate the Outlook Secure Temp Folder and delete the related 'orphaned' files.

Step 1: Locate the folder

The folder location is stored in the registry in the following key:

Outlook 2007 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security

Outlook 2010 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security

Outlook 2013 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Security

Step 2: Get to the folder

1. Open the OutlookSecureTempFolder registry key from the location provided in Step 1.

2. Copy the path from the key.

3. Open Explorer.

4. Paste the address in the Address Bar and press Enter.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alvwan Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:41 AM
  • Hello Alvin,

I will review the steps that you have supplied me with.

If there are any changes within the environment, I will let you know.

Monday, April 4, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will be patiently wait for your update.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:47 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:32 AM