Create a master document that will have two different versions subsets depending on audience RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a glossary of terms and what to only maintain one master glossary. 

I need to use half of the terms for one customer set, about 2/3rds of the terms for another customer set and the full set of terms for the last customer set. 

What would be the best way to do this so I only have to keep one master document up to date but be able to retrieve only the terms I want for the correct customer set?

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:38 PM

Answers

• Although you could have two glossary documents, one for each of the first two customers, and combine their contents via INCLUDETEXT fields in the third document, the combined output wouldn't have or support any of the sorting you'd normally require for a glossary.

What you might consider instead is building the glossary in, say, Excel (or a Word table) with one row per entry and columns for the headings, details and indicating which of the first two clients the entries relate to. There the combined glossary can be kept sorted by term. You could then use Word's directory/catalog mailmerge tools to generate the required glossaries, filtering as necessary for the first two clients.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, July 16, 2012 2:10 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:42 AM