Windows 7 to Windows XP Filename sorting Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, everyone!  We are having some issues with the filenames sorted between Windows 7 users and Windows XP users here in the office.  In XP our sort order is

Windows XP    vs  Windows 7
    ND2H_R               ND_3H
    ND3H_R               ND_R
    ND_3H                 ND2H_R
    ND_R                   ND3H_R
    NDH_R                NDH_R

You can see the issue.  It's necessary for these files to be kept in the Windows XP order since most of the office is running on that OS.  We've tried the Group Policy editor and this hasn't worked.  This does the same as the registry edit if we're correct.  Does anyone have any solutions or possible insight?  Should we resort to a different filename system or is there some solution that we are overlooking?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:13 PM

Answers

• As far as I've been able to find, Windows 7 does a binary sort, not a "natural" sort so I don't think there is a solution other than changing your naming convention. The gpedit/registry changes found on the internet do not make any difference.

Rich
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:07 AM

All replies

• As far as I've been able to find, Windows 7 does a binary sort, not a "natural" sort so I don't think there is a solution other than changing your naming convention. The gpedit/registry changes found on the internet do not make any difference.

Rich
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

I have checked the corresponding regitry entry in Windows XP has been removed in windows 7 already. To avoid messing up the system, I suggest use File Sorting Utility software as a workaround.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 9:28 AM