none
Resource Pool Reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Can anyone help with resource pool reports please. Im working on MS Project 2013. I created a report under new reporting template under Project>Visual Reports>New Tempate...

I then chose to use Excel and under the "Select Data Type" I chose "Resource Usage".  Under the Field Picker, I chose my custom fields.

I was then able to put in the fields I needed in the pivot table Timescale, Resource, Work/Actual Work/Remaining Availability. So far what I have is exactly what im looking for but the data is not showing up on the remaining availability. I was hoping that the report would allow me to look at the total hours a resource is available and the work they have assigned to them but also what remaining hours they have available if they were to take on more work but its not showing the total hours available and remaining it is showing the work and actual work though.

Am I in the right report to get this information or should I be trying it another way?

If anyone can help I would be so grateful.

Thanks Kath

Kath

Thursday, January 22, 2015 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Kath,

Does the data appear correctly in the Resource Usage view?

Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Hi Julie

Yes the all appear in the columns in the resource usage view.

I would like to have available hours to work to if thats possible - if i have 10 fabricators all working 8 hour days 5 day week, but also for it to show if its 80hrs one day but 70hours the next day due to holidays. I update the calendar to show this in the resource pool to.

thanks

Kath

Friday, January 23, 2015 8:04 AM
  • Hi Kath,

I'm not sure what you have customized, but I just stepped through using the Resource Work Availability Visual Report on a resource pool and all data shows as expected:

Work Availability, Work, and Remaining Availability.  You can add Actual Work to the pivot table as needed.  I added Resources from the Pivot Table Field list on the right and moved  the Weekly Calendar to Columns above the summary value fields.  You can also filter out the "unassigned" from the resource list to make it a bit cleaner.

Saturday, January 24, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Hi Julie

I used the resource work availability visual report and the data i get back shows the work in the resource pool but it doesnt give me any data for work availability or remaining availability - 2 of the resources are overloaded but the others are not i was hoping it would show the available hours the resources have (fabs = 800 hours per week) and deducted the work and show the remaining abvailability - is this possible in MS Project? Im so used to Primavera that im finding the reports alot different since starting using MS Project.

Year Quarter Resources Work Availability Work Remaining Availability
    2015 Q1 Fabricators 0.00 1862.82 0
        Semi Skilled Electrical 0.00 504.55 0
        Pipe Fabs 0.00 733.50 0
        Electrical Eng 0.00 5.00 0

Kath

Monday, January 26, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Hi Kath,

As I said, I stepped through the process in a pool file using the OOTB Resource Work Availability report, and it worked fine, so yes, it is possible.

I don't know why it is not working in your file.  I am running Project 2013 Pro (not connected to server) with SP-1 and the latest cumulative update.

I'm inclined to think it may be your pool file, as you have posted about issues with the assignments and resources being removed.

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:53 PM
  • The resource pool has been great since i created a new one and saved it in a different format. I just dont think me and MS Project mix so well :). I am beginning to believe it is mainly a task tool rather than something i can use which is reliable for resource utilisation.

Thanks for your help so far i will continue to dig around and find some answers.

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Sorry, Kath, I disagree.  Project can effectively be used for resource utilization.  It's just that pools present their own special "care and feeding" issues.  What "format" have you saved the pool file in?
    Monday, January 26, 2015 3:08 PM
  • My project defaults to saving it as an MS project 2007. So i changed it to project and its working much better yes i have noticed and read alot about the pools being a bit flaky - l i guess i just need to get used it . I am looking into using project server instead which i am hoping will be a bit more robust but i guess at this stage its trial and error with me. Unfortunately im self teaching - the company should be putting me through a course in the next month or so im hoping so anyway :) Thanks
    Monday, January 26, 2015 3:40 PM
  • Hi Kath,

You will want to get out of saving as Project 2007 as there are many features not available in 2007 that are in 2013.

Good luck in the class and feel free to post back here with further questions.

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Monday, January 26, 2015 5:30 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 4:54 PM