none
gpupdate resets Wifi Card preferred band setting

Question

• Hi,

We've got a number of laptops which we want to prefer the 2.4ghz band when connecting to our dual band 802.11n wifi network.

I've been able to apply this setting in the registry on Windows7 clients by modifying the RoamingPrefferedBandType value to 1, but the issue is that on any client where I have modified this reg key either manually or by running a batch file, and then run a gpupdate /force on the client it defaults back to prefer 5.2ghz

But I don't know why that is, because I didn't believe there was a GPO Computer Configuration setting that specified a preferred band, So in theory there shouldn't be any overwriting of this setting. Can anyone explain why this is happening And how can I work around this to ensure that when I change to prefer 2.4ghz group policy processing refreshes doesn't change it to 5.2ghz?

Monday, April 13, 2015 11:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Would you please run a gpresult /h xx.html report on the client and then post us? In that way we may have a clear look into the group policy configuration.

Or you can download a  Process Monitor (A free monitoring tool introduced by Microsoft )to monitor this particular key and detect what changed the setting. You can hit below link  for more details.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi netmgr001,

Thank you for posting this issue on the TechNet community forums.

From the description I understand that you're having problems with a number of your laptops reverting back to the default WiFi band settings after running a group policy update.

Could you please try the following for me:

• create a new SSID that is broadcast by the 2.4GHz radios (e.g. MySSID_2)
    • create and deploy a group policy which has the "MySSID_2" above the other in the list of preferred SSIDs

Let me know if this helps.

• Edited by --Zach Monday, April 13, 2015 11:21 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2015 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

We're not really in a position where we want to go down the route of deploying a second SSID in production.

We've got the one SSID, and we want all our APS to broadcast both 2.4ghz/5ghz with that one SSID, we also have Band Steering disabled on all of our APs.

We have one wireless 802.1x gpo from what I can see, and We're just trying to understand from a Windows 7 GPO point of view why and how that 802.1x gpo can revert a specific registry change when the preferredband setting can't even by set by group policy.

Monday, April 13, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

Would you please run a gpresult /h xx.html report on the client and then post us? In that way we may have a clear look into the group policy configuration.

Or you can download a  Process Monitor (A free monitoring tool introduced by Microsoft )to monitor this particular key and detect what changed the setting. You can hit below link  for more details.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any update on this issue? Is the problem fixed now?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Monday, April 20, 2015 6:19 AM