"Version string was too short or too long" error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was trying to change the host header on a web application and so followed Microsoft's technet article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc298636(office.12).aspx) on unextending and then re-extenteding the web app with the new host header settings. Upon re-extending it I got an error "Version string was too short or too long", the application did appear to be extended as the new zone was present in the "Authentication" menu however when I browsed to the extended application it did not load.

My next idea was to try and extend the web application to a different zone but now when I click on "Extend web application" I get the same error - "Version string was too short or too long".

I've found a similar issue on another post (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/br/vseditor/thread/8ca4a9b0-742d-487d-ab8c-6c3a80cffd40) but I don't feel comfortable deleting keys in the Post Platform directory in the registry as I don't know which of them are needed. I did try deleting 2 entries but it did not fix the issue - there are 4 .NET CLR entries remaining.

Does anyone have any further suggestions, should I just go ahead and delete the 3 oldest remaining .NET CLR  entries? What effect would it have if they are in use?

Thanks in advance

Claire

PS - Forgot to mention, I'm using WSS 3.0
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Rahul,

Yes, I rebooted the server after each registry change. I gave up on it in the end, just removed the web application extension and created a new IIS webiste instead of using the original one - had to do all my configurations again so it's not an ideal solution!

Claire.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

have you done system reboot after deleting the keys?

A reboot is always required when you change registry keys.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

Yes, I rebooted the server after each registry change. I gave up on it in the end, just removed the web application extension and created a new IIS webiste instead of using the original one - had to do all my configurations again so it's not an ideal solution!

Claire.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:29 PM