none
SCCM Client & "Enroll in to device management" setting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently use Airwatch for enrolling mobile devices but would also like to use the SCCM client for updates/deployments etc.

I've found that a laptop with no SCCM client allows me to "enroll in to device management".

If I install the SCCM client the option to "enroll in to device management" is unavailable with a message in red "System policies prevent you from connectiong to a work or school account."

Does anyone have any ideas how I can install the SCCM client but also allow me to enroll onto Airwatch ? We currently don't include the MDM section of the SCCM client in our settings.

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated.

Cheers

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:59 PM

Answers

• I'm not aware of any public document stating that you can't manage a device through two channels (ConfigMgr and Airwatch). The only thing I know for sure is that you can't enroll a device in Microsoft Intune and install the ConfigMgr agent. As Airwatch is similar to Microsoft Intune, the assumption would be that the same is applicable. Especially looking at the fact that you simply can't enroll a device after installing the ConfigMgr agent.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Marked as answer by tangoman1 Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:37 PM

All replies

• What operating system are we talking here, is it iOS/Android/Windows Phone mobile devices, or simply Windows 10 devices that you want to manage through the MDM agent?

Nickolaj Andersen | www.scconfigmgr.com | @NickolajA

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:05 PM
  • To my knowledge you can't install the ConfigMgr agent on a device and enroll that device via MDM. It also doesn't really makes sense, as that would make two management authorities on one device, which is a guarantee for a lot of unknown issues.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:09 PM
  • Its Windows 10 devices mostly , perhaps some 8.1 also.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:12 PM
  • That was my worry. Perhaps we'll need to manage mobile devices using Airwatch and the rest of the estate with SCCM.

Is there any documentation I can use to highlight the two management authorities issue as I'm bound to be asked for some ?

Thanks again for your time.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:17 PM
  • I'm not aware of any public document stating that you can't manage a device through two channels (ConfigMgr and Airwatch). The only thing I know for sure is that you can't enroll a device in Microsoft Intune and install the ConfigMgr agent. As Airwatch is similar to Microsoft Intune, the assumption would be that the same is applicable. Especially looking at the fact that you simply can't enroll a device after installing the ConfigMgr agent.

• Marked as answer by tangoman1 Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Just throwing my 2 pennies in here in case more stumble on this thread... we're trying to use Mobile Iron for MDM on Windows 10 (1607 and 1703) and have same thing, you cannot enrol MDM with the config manager client installed, and you cannot successfully install the config manager client once enrolled in MDM.
    Monday, October 9, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Yeah, Configuration Manager client does that (or any of the MDM-clients that I've come across of so far). As it's not a best practice. But, sometimes you just have asset info in separate product, product evals etc. Add or change a reg setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Enrollments REG_DWORD ExternallyManaged to 0 and you should be able to enroll with Configuration Manager client installed.
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:45 AM