none
Planned work (hrs) as of date RRS feed

• Question

• I want to get a planned work number from project. There is a baseline budget work but it does not seem to be populated even though I have saved a baseline. Does anyone know how I could get at this number?
    Friday, September 27, 2013 2:45 PM

All replies

• MPR1,

There are multiple work fields in Project. Perhaps the best way to understand what each represents is to add them as a column in your view. Then hover your mouse over the column heading and hit F1. That will bring up the help file for that field.

Try that and then if you still have a question, post back.

For reference, budget values apply only to the Project Summary Task.

John

Friday, September 27, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Hi John,

Believe me, I did that already and have done extensive searches on Google. I was hoping someone on this forum has found a way to do it.

What I have been doing is looking at the Earned Value table where I got my PV number as of my status date (a setting on the Project Tab), but I want the PLANNED WORK too, not the (PV) $ amount.

Makes sense?

Mike

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

In one of the Uage views, right click on the right side, click Detail Styles, then Cumulative work, then show. Does that help?

Greetings,

Friday, September 27, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Thanks for responding.

I think I followed your steps but did not get the result I need. it seems that cumulative work is for actuals to date not planned as of a date.

Mike

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Part of the problem I think is you are using the term Planned Work which isn't used by Project. Do you mean baseline Work? This is the scheduled work at the time the baseline was saved.

The Budget work is a separate data set that is so confusing I recommend ignoring it. baseline data is the most commonly used data and is what earned value is calculated on.

Under Project, Baseline, Set baseline, note which baselines have a date next to them (if none of them do then you haven't saved a baseline). You can insert Baseline Work in the Gantt table and in a usage view add Baseline Work in teh timephased part of the view.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, September 27, 2013 9:52 PM