none
Pinging or connecting to domain.local

Question

• Good Day,

For some reason I was used to able to join computers to domain by entering domain name, but I must enter domain.local. Even if I try to ping domain name doesnt work I need to enter domain.local. Not sure how to fix this. But causing lots of errors.

Thank you

Monday, January 23, 2017 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you share with us the errors ?

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Monday, January 23, 2017 11:24 PM
  • If you are referring to the NetBIOS name then please make sure that your computers are in the same subnet as your DC. A network level change may have changed the behavior of your systems.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:01 AM
  • If you are referring to the NetBIOS name then please make sure that your computers are in the same subnet as your DC. A network level change may have changed the behavior of your systems.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

THey are on same subnet. My issues that pcs that are previously connected to mydoma no longer connect to ad. I had to removed them add readd them by using domainanme.local
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

>> I had to removed them add readd them by using domainanme.local

Please check the DNS A record for your domain.

Besides, did you use dns suffix on IP address property?

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:20 AM
  • C:\Users\administrator>ping mydomain
    Ping request could not find host mydomain. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\administrator>ping mydomain.local

Pinging mydomain.local [192.168.0.32] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.32: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.32:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    • Edited by Freshdude Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:03 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : MYDOMAIN.LOCAL
      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM
      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-C6-9B-D4-D8
      DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
      Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
      IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.20(Preferred)
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
      Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 23, 2017 1:31:56 PM
      Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 30, 2017 1:31:57 PM
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
      DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
      Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
      Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
      NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

Active directory DNS name must be like domain.local .

When you run the command ping mydomain , you computer will search a hostname in the DNS zones indicated on the search list of computer ip settings.

When you run ping mydomain.local , one of domain controller will respond .

from my point of view , it's not problem if you don't get answer when you run ping mydomain.

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

Active directory DNS name must be like domain.local .

When you run the command ping mydomain , you computer will search a hostname in the DNS zones indicated on the search list of computer ip settings.

When you run ping mydomain.local , one of domain controller will respond .

from my point of view , it's not problem if you don't get answer when you run ping mydomain.

My issue is used to be able to join systems to domain by just using "MYDOMAIN" now I need to enter my mydomain.local
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Hi

Ping request could not find host mydomain. Please check the name and try again.
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
                                          192.168.0.32 >>>>>
    First of all check all DC's dns ip address point to itself as primary.Then check the name server list from dns console,all dc ip's needs to be avaible from there(and check the A & ns records).
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770984(v=ws.11).aspx
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/muaddib/2013/12/16/how-to-update-the-list-of-name-servers-on-a-dns-zone-with-a-script/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:33 PM
  • In your forward lookup zone on your DNS servers, make sure you have an A record under the Forward Lookup Zone:  mydomain.local.

It's a record that's normally blank and is listed as (same as parent folder).  That needs to point to your DCs.

And make sure DNS is working properly too.  Run and NSLOOKUP to mydomain.local.

JB

JB

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:04 PM
  • In your forward lookup zone on your DNS servers, make sure you have an A record under the Forward Lookup Zone:  mydomain.local.

It's a record that's normally blank and is listed as (same as parent folder).  That needs to point to your DCs.

JB

JB

I am trying to create the A record but it wants an IP address. I want to be able to point to any of the DNS Servers in the domain.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:32 PM

JB

JB

Seems you are correct about this. I created an test domain in HyperV and tried to ping by testdomain and doesnt return anything. but testdomain.local works. My issue now, in this "test" domain I can join pcs to domai by using just "TESTDOMAIN" in my production domain wont work with just "DOMAIN" I need to enter DOMAIN.LOCAL.

Also event viewer errror

The DNS server could not bind a Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) socket to address 192.168.0.32.  The event data is the error code.  An IP address of 0.0.0.0 can indicate a valid "any address" configuration in which all configured IP addresses on the computer are available for use. 
    Restart the DNS server or reboot the computer.

Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'DOMAIN.LOCAL.' failed.  These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition).  

Possible causes of failure include:  
    - TCP/IP properties of the network connections of this computer contain wrong IP address(es) of the preferred and alternate DNS servers 
    - Specified preferred and alternate DNS servers are not running 
    - DNS server(s) primary for the records to be registered is not running 
    - Preferred or alternate DNS servers are configured with wrong root hints 
    - Parent DNS zone contains incorrect delegation to the child zone authoritative for the DNS records that failed registration  

USER ACTION  
    Fix possible misconfiguration(s) specified above and initiate registration or deletion of the DNS records by running 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt on the domain controller or by restarting Net Logon service on the domain controller.

C:\Users\administrator>nltest.exe /dsregdns
    Flags: 0
    Connection Status = 1311 0x51f ERROR_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
    The command completed successfully

Thank you

• Edited by Freshdude Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:18 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply Freshdude. I'm curious to know what you have listed in the NIC settings of your DC servers. What's in the DNS portion of your NIC? Is it the loopback address (127.0.0.1) or is it the IP of the DC?

If it's the loopback, I've often ran into issues with it being the loopback address.  I've had to make sure DNS in my NIC is pointing to itself (actual address) or the address of another DC.

Also does your DNS server for mydomain.local, have all the folders underneath it like _msdcs, _gc, etc?

JB

Friday, February 3, 2017 5:57 PM