none
MDT 2013 U1 - Bad credentials RRS feed

• Question

• So I updated my MDT 2013 inplace with U1 to test Windows 10

everything seems to go through fine until I boot the PXE
    didn't connect for the longest time and then it said the credentials are bad.  Odd because it was just working.  tried to map the drive, no luck.

Created a new deployment share just for Win10 and left the customsettings and bootstrap.ini default so I would get the prompt for username, password, domain.  I've had this share running for sometime and when I try a net use I get System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found.

Even when I try to map a physical machine, I get the same.. All of this is running in VMware Workstation.  I can ping the machines and get successful pings

Friday, May 8, 2015 2:09 AM

Answers

• I did have that thought but am currently at work so I can't really stick a flash drive in there.

I was just making a general assumption since only Dave and I seem to have this issue :)

Is there any other share you can copy stuff to?  Frankly without logs this is dead in the water.  You might also want to look at your DNS...

Hmm try these:

Bootstrap.ini

DeployRoot=\\<MDTServerFQDN>\<Share>

OR

DeployRoot=\\<MDTServerIPAddress>\<Share>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by IKnowSomeMDT Friday, June 12, 2015 11:24 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 8:42 PM

All replies

• Just to make sure, can you do an IP Config and make sure you have an ip address on the VM?
    Also, I believe you'll need to install Windows ADK RC for Windows 10 and update your deployment share so the boot images are correctly done.

:: Geeking Around Technological World :: | http://front-slash.blogspot.com

Friday, May 8, 2015 7:35 AM
  • I installed the ADK before MDT ( I only learned about MDT U 1 from researching why my Win 10 images were still failing)

it is getting an IP address.. I also created a new VM for this so I'm stumped.. It's like there is something wrong with the DNS, I'll roll it back tonight and go from there.

Just looked at your blog.. Looks to be some good info so I'll look at that tonight if I can.
    Friday, May 8, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Tks for the compliments! :)

Well...try the rollback than and send some news please.

Friday, May 8, 2015 10:07 PM
  • started from scratch,
    installed Windows 10 adk
    installed MDT 2013 update 1
    pulled over just windows 10
    booted, still can't connect
    removed update 1 and windows 10 ADK
    installed windows 8 adk and MDT 2013
    no issues - same credentials

update to this
    On my physical machine I can open up windows explorer and go to the deploymentshare w/o issue and without using any credentials at all
    using either versions of ADK or MDT
    removed WDK and 2013
    reinstalled WKD 10 and 2013 u1
    fails - with me inputting the credentials and adding them to bootstrap.ini

checked the LiteTouch.log file >
    Error - no credentials were returned from LTICredentials.hta, so no connection is possible.
    Unable to connect
    Connection OK.  Possible cause: invalid credentials and then

in other logs Wizard/BDD - keep seeing the network path was not found

In ZTI Gather - it says Unable to determine Windows SKU while in Windows PE ?
    at the end says ZTIGather processed successful

noticed that NETBIOS is disabled on the ADK10 2013 Update 1 but enabled in ADK8 & 2013.  I'm beginning that is the key.
    Saturday, May 9, 2015 5:04 PM
  • Well, that really can be the key...
    On the config where you get the error, can you open up a command prompt and try to do something like a net use to see the result?

Monday, May 11, 2015 7:34 AM
  • started from scratch,
    installed Windows 10 adk
    installed MDT 2013 update 1
    pulled over just windows 10
    booted, still can't connect
    removed update 1 and windows 10 ADK
    installed windows 8 adk and MDT 2013
    no issues - same credentials

Please note that MDT 2013 U1 / Win10 ADK contain known bugs. Make sure you apply all the fixes as reported here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/03/28/mdt-updates-for-windows-10-technical-preview-build-10041.aspx

Monday, May 11, 2015 9:17 AM
  • By the way, I would recommend to install ADK RC for Windows 10 and using build 10074 of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Monday, May 11, 2015 9:19 AM
  • Thanks for all the tips. I do know I'm using the Windows 10 ADK RC for Win 10.

I will update this post tonight with more details and see what I find.
    Monday, May 11, 2015 1:48 PM
  • Well, that really can be the key...
    On the config where you get the error, can you open up a command prompt and try to do something like a net use to see the result?

net use does not work but pinging the virtual VM server and my physical PC works.  I cannot ping the client VM from my physical machine but I can ping the VM server
    Monday, May 11, 2015 1:51 PM
  • Maybe some kind of change on the firewall?

I know that this is not your scenario, but I had a very similar issue last week, just because I forgot to turn off the previous wds/mdt machine that I was using with a different domain :)

Monday, May 11, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Maybe some kind of change on the firewall?

I know that this is not your scenario, but I had a very similar issue last week, just because I forgot to turn off the previous wds/mdt machine that I was using with a different domain :)

Doubt that's the issue since if I remove ADK 10 and Update 1 and reinstall ADK8 and 2013 it works and I even tested without restarting my server.
    Monday, May 11, 2015 2:19 PM
  • Anyone got any other ideas?
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 2:26 AM
  • Thanks for all the tips. I do know I'm using the Windows 10 ADK RC for Win 10.

I will update this post tonight with more details and see what I find.
    You should be able to use this blog (minus the parts where you are required modify WinPE) http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/03/28/mdt-updates-for-windows-10-technical-preview-build-10041.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:16 PM
  • I have this issue...

Did you ever find a resolve?

Dave

Thursday, June 4, 2015 3:21 PM
  • No and I just rebuilt a server completely.  I'm using Windows 10 version 10130
    Same issues
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Have you tried with Windows Server Preview?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:26 AM
  • Did you make sure you are on the same vlan? Usually in a VM you want to bridge the connection with your physical connection.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:20 PM
  • Sounds like a DNS/Network issue to me. Try another machine or VM.

thanks

NN

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Thanks for all the replies so this is what I'm using.  I've been doing this for sometime so that's why it's frustrating why I'm the only person in the world to have this issue lol

Server 2012 R2
    VM WorkStation 10.0.6
    Windows 10 version 10130

I can ping my physical machine from the VM but I cannot ping the VM from my physical machine
    remember NETBIOS is being disabled by default

If I remove ADK for win 10 and MDT 2013 U1 and use ADK 8.1 and MDT 2013 everything is fine - I just did it again.

dmacneill_tru - No, I did not, but that shouldn't make a difference since these apps should work just fine under 2012 R2
    Lat3 - I do use bridge -
    NN - we can rule that out as re done this entire setup from the ground up several times with the same results

something in the ISO creation is not enabling NETBIOS - that's the key to all of this.  I know my credentials are okay because they are a macro on my keyboard that I use for all of my VM's

Again, I appreciate all the help.

I did just try Windows 10 10130 using MDT 2013 and ADK 8.1 for the giggles and I get the "An Operating System wasn't found"  will try the DISM trick and  update

oh, one other thing.  I've left customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini default all but SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:14 PM
  • Can you post a relevant bdd.log to something like OneDrive?

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:46 PM
  • any ideas how I'd be able to capture the logs?
    remember I cannot map to another machine and this is a VM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 1:39 PM
  • See my link.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/111518-how-to-enable-logging-of-mdt-deployments-for-troubleshooting

Friday, June 12, 2015 1:48 PM
  • I hate to be that guy but are you guys even reading what my problem is?

I CANNOT map to any drive/folder that is hosted on a VM or a physical machine

I can ping out to a computer but I cannot ping the computer I'm trying to image

NETBIOS over TCPIP is disabled.
    Friday, June 12, 2015 2:15 PM
  • If you setup the logging in the rules of mdt then you do not need to map a drive. The deployment has real time logging of the deployment (a file is created on the mdt server in the logs folder you make) from the get go.

The account your using to authenticate to the deployment share..is this a domain account? If so is it locked out? Remember the domain account credentials need to be in your bootstrap.ini  and customsettings.ini files like this:

UserDomain=domain
    UserID=someuser
    UserPassword=somepassword

Then update the deployment share. Then import the new boot image that was made into WDS. Attempt to PXE boot again.

NOTE: The correct nic driver needs to be in the boot image as well for that model PC. Since this is a VM make sure it is on the same Vlan as the MDT server. Usually this means the vm is in a bridged connection state if the mdt is a physical server on your domain.

NOTE: When you see the connection error message can you press F8 and type ipconfig to see if you get an ip? Also in that window can you change directory to the c drive and the logs are in there. To open the logs in notepad you would type  notepad.exe filename.log

• Edited by Lat3 Friday, June 12, 2015 2:30 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 2:20 PM
  • This PE created by the latest ADK does not allow me to connect to \\server\deploymentshare$
    Friday, June 12, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Your not suppose to use that. MDT makes the boot image (with the nic drivers and connection credentials that you specify to use) when you update the deployment share. The location of that boot image is located at deploymentshare\boot folder. That is the boot image you import into WDS and use for PXE boot. :)

Like I said. Update your customsettings and bootstrap with the credentials and make sure you have the right nic drivers and then update the deployment share to get the correct boot image to import into WDS.

• Edited by Lat3 Friday, June 12, 2015 2:43 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 2:42 PM
  • I've been using this same method since 2012 lol

The same workflow I use to create my Windows 7 and Windows 8 deployment does not work with ADK for Win 10 and MDT 2013 U1

I've only had to add NIC drivers on some physical machines but on my VMs I've never had to since 2012

I don't want to put in my credentials in bootstrap.ini or customsettings.ini at this time.. I have and I get the same issues :D

Sorry about the confusion with ADK and PE but I was hoping you'd get what I mean

Yes, I'm aware MDT creates the bootimage and I import that into WDS

To answer your longer post

You realize that MDT "maps a drive" to the deployment share?  How else would it pull down the image and why else do you need to provide credentials;)
    I do get a valid IP

Friday, June 12, 2015 2:57 PM
  • I'm right there with you buddy.

I'm having the exact same issue.

Must be a bug.

Dave

Friday, June 12, 2015 3:17 PM
  • MS must dislike us Dave
    Friday, June 12, 2015 3:25 PM
  • Without logs I may not be able to help you.

shift+F8

cd \

dir /s bdd.log

copy it to an usb drive or something. Then copy it to OneDrive or something like that.

Also most people on the MDT forum are people who just like to answer questions not necessarily MSFT.

Friday, June 12, 2015 5:28 PM
  • I did have that thought but am currently at work so I can't really stick a flash drive in there.

I was just making a general assumption since only Dave and I seem to have this issue :)
    Friday, June 12, 2015 6:38 PM

Is there any other share you can copy stuff to?  Frankly without logs this is dead in the water.  You might also want to look at your DNS...

Hmm try these:

Bootstrap.ini

DeployRoot=\\<MDTServerFQDN>\<Share>

OR

DeployRoot=\\<MDTServerIPAddress>\<Share>

• Marked as answer by IKnowSomeMDT Friday, June 12, 2015 11:24 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 8:42 PM
  • DNS is 8.8.8.8 by from my router but that doesn't hinder Win7/8 deployments

Found a physical computer :D

I was reading through them and some of the lines saying no username found which is odd cause I type it in

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=76C1033AE6C1D9EF!1855&authkey=!AKXjtmQ1P9V1f68&ithint=folder%2clog
    Friday, June 12, 2015 9:19 PM
  • So let me get this straight:

1. MDT 2013 U1 (8216)
    2. ADK 10.0.10075
    3. PXE booted
    4. Post boot MDT is unable to find \\DC10\DeploymentShare$

Have you tried regenerating your boot images with the suggestions I mention above?  I am nearly 100% that will solve this issue.

This might be an issue that is resolved in a later ADK that is not publicly available.

PS Google public DNS doesn't know what is going on inside your NAT.

Friday, June 12, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Not too be rude, but anyone who is asking a question like he has would tried this as a first troubleshooting step before asking here.

I know I did and I still had his same issue.

I will try suggested changes in bootstrap and rebuilding again.

Thanks,

Dave

Friday, June 12, 2015 10:55 PM
  • Dave,

Is your case with MDT 2013 U1 and ADK 10075?

IKSMDT,

Also I understand that NetBIOS is disabled in the 10075 build of ADK (from earlier in the thread).  The appropriate work around is to eliminate NetBIOS from the equation then (given the parameters of it is not enabled in this WinPE...).

Friday, June 12, 2015 11:00 PM
  • I suppose another possibility is you could modify the hosts file of your WinPE to point to the IPaddress of the MDT server (although it is a lot simpler to modify the bootstrap.ini)

Friday, June 12, 2015 11:16 PM
  • OMG High Five!

I used
    DeployRoot=\\192.168.0.101\DeploymentShare$
    in my bootstrap.ini

so what does that tell us?
    Friday, June 12, 2015 11:24 PM
  • It is an issue with the ADK. I suspect it will be fixed for the release.

Friday, June 12, 2015 11:28 PM
  • It's running super slow though which is strange.

Server VM = Memory is at 40% and 1% CPU
    Client VM = Memory is at 31% and 0% usage on CPU
    Physical Machine = same

My Physical machine is a i7 4770K and 32 gigs of ram
    Friday, June 12, 2015 11:37 PM
  • It is an issue with the ADK. I suspect it will be fixed for the release.

now that you've came to this solution.  This post from me has been updated by Microsoft.  Odd but good

https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext/feedback/details/1324212/netbios-over-tcpip-disabled

Friday, June 12, 2015 11:49 PM
  • That is suspicious ;)

Saturday, June 13, 2015 12:04 AM
  • Figured out why it was super slow
    It was trying to send logs to the server and timing out.  Changed out all \\dc10\ to the ipaddress much faster
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 12:47 AM
  • Not too be rude, but anyone who is asking a question like he has would tried this as a first troubleshooting step before asking here.

I know I did and I still had his same issue.

I will try suggested changes in bootstrap and rebuilding again.

Thanks,

Dave

Actually Dave.  I assumed on this and thought well since I cannot map using it, why would the IP... Funny as I'm a second level PC support guy and I have to do this a lot.

I cannot thank Ty enough for following up on this multiple times.  Hopefully, my headaches save many people :)
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 12:49 AM
  • Figured out why it was super slow
    It was trying to send logs to the server and timing out.  Changed out all \\dc10\ to the ipaddress much faster

Oh that makes sense.  Good catch! Also I made the reply one connect.

Saturday, June 13, 2015 1:23 AM