none
Replacing a dead witness server within mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• I have a situation where Server A is mirroring to Server B, and has a witness server configured known as Server C. Unfortunately, server C suffered a hardware failure and had to be completely rebuilt, even though the databases mirroring between Server A and B does have server C listed as the witness, its in a disconnected state.

Now Server C has been rebuilt, same name i.e. Server C, however it doesn't have the endpoint etc.

My question is, what needs to be done in order for Server C to continue functioning as a credible witness, does mirroring need to be removed and reconfigured or can one do something else ?

Thanks in advance.

Please note that they are all running SQL 2008 R2.
    • Edited by MrFlinstone Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hi MrFlinstone,

You don’t need to remove or reconfigure the database mirroring. You can add or replace a Database Mirroring Witness as your wish. Please check if a database mirroring endpoint already exists by using the following statement:
    SELECT name, role_desc, state_desc FROM sys.database_mirroring_endpoints;

If not, you will have to create a new database mirroring endpoint. If the database mirroring endpoints use Windows Authentication, you can use SSMS to add or replace a witness. Please refer to Database Mirroring Witness.

Best Regards,
    Puzzle
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:41 AM