none
"Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" and Domain Policy RRS feed

• Question

• I've read many posts about how to resolve issues attempting to install .net 3.5 features on Windows 8 in a corporate environment where an alternate WSUS location is specified by group policy.

On the client, you're supposed to set "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" in gpedit, which I HAVE gotten working.

However, I'd like to set my domain policy to this same setting so I needn't set it on all clients manually.  The setting isn't there under "Default Domain Policy"

Figuring it was a schema version for AD, and AD was missing Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 specific settings, I ran adprep /forestprep, /domainprep (told me there was no work to do), and /domainprep /gpprep (told me there was no work to do).

The "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" setting is still not available.  How do make this setting aware to AD?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:29 PM

All replies

• You can set group policy to add a registry entry for every Windows 8 client.

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing] “RepairContentServerSource”=DWORD(2)

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:32 AM
  • ok, so I combined;

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing] “RepairContentServerSource”=DWORD(2)

with

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing] “LocalSourcePath”=REG_EXPAND_SZ("\\unc share to winsxs files")

per http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848079(v=vs.85).aspx

Will this be all I need to do? I guess what I'm asking is, is the "2" for RepairContentServerSource still correct if I've defined a LocalSourcePath?

Thanks,

~Bill

P.S. I'm rather surprised that Active Directory can't be updated to include "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" in a domain policy...

• Edited by BillMoller Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:33 PM

• P.S. I'm rather surprised that Active Directory can't be updated to include "Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" in a domain policy...

I know this is an old subject, but it can be updated. Just download the admx definitions :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=43413

and install them on your sysvol :

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530196.aspx

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

I have Windows 10. I just downloaded and installed group policy editor and it was also missing the "specify settings for optional component installation and component repair".

So, I downloaded the admx definitions using the link provided but I am not sure how to install them on my sysvol using the link provided.

Can you help me?

Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:35 AM
  • Hi,

I have Windows 10. I just downloaded and installed group policy editor and it was also missing the "specify settings for optional component installation and component repair".

So, I downloaded the admx definitions using the link provided but I am not sure how to install them on my sysvol using the link provided.

Can you help me?

Check out How to create the Central Store for Group Policy Administrative Template files  It's for Vista, but it's the same for all Windows versions starting with Vista.

To summarize the article:

1. Create this folder \\mydomain.xyz\sysvol\mydomain.xyz\Policies\PolicyDefinitions, where mydomain.xyz is your AD domain.
    2. Download the latest Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 and run the installer.  This does not need to be done on a server.
    3. Copy the contents of the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 10 Version 1511\PolicyDefinitions" folder to the folder in step 1.

Now, everyone who edits GP will automatically use the templates from the Central Store.  When new versions of Windows are released, just update that folder with the updated templates.  Easy.

-Tony

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:51 PM
  • Question on this.  Do I overwrite the existing ADMX files?  Also - I tried this, and it still has not added the missing setting.

We have Central Store - have used it for others without problem.  Can't figure this one out.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Question on this.  Do I overwrite the existing ADMX files?

Yes, overwrite the files. But, Microsoft has removed some settings from the recent defs, so you may end up with some orphaned policies. The only way to clean this up is to restore the old policy template, then unconfigure the policy. (Example: The GameDVR policy in 10v1511 removed in 10v1607):

Orphaned policy

Also, Microsoft occasionally retires/renames admx files too.  So, simply copying the new files will leave some old, obsolete, unwanted files in the policy store.  I recently spent a LOT of time comparing the v1511 vs v1607 policy files to ensure it did not break anything to replace the old files.  It did not.

My recommendation for updating: Delete the contents of the Central Store and replace them with the new files.  If you use other policies, such as Office or Chrome, then don't delete those of course.

-Tony

• Proposed as answer by Tony MCP Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tony MCP Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:53 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:37 PM
  • ...I tried this, and it still has not added the missing setting.

We have Central Store - have used it for others without problem.  Can't figure this one out.

Hmm.  The setting you are looking for is stored in Servicing.admx  The file is small and only contains that one policy:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!--  (c) 2011 Microsoft Corporation  -->
    <policyDefinitions revision="1.0" schemaVersion="1.0" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/GroupPolicy/2006/07/PolicyDefinitions">
      <policyNamespaces>
        <target prefix="servicing" namespace="Microsoft.Policies.Servicing" />
        <using prefix="windows" namespace="Microsoft.Policies.Windows" />
      </policyNamespaces>
      <resources minRequiredRevision="1.0" />
      <policies>
        <policy 
          name="Servicing" 
          class="Machine" 
          displayName="$(string.CloudFulfillmentGPO)" 
          explainText="$(string.CloudFulfillmentGPOExplanation)" 
          presentation="$(presentation.CloudFulfillmentGPO)" 
          key="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing">
          <parentCategory ref="windows:System" />
          <supportedOn ref="windows:SUPPORTED_Windows8" />
          <elements>

<!--This value will be stored as a REG_EXPAND_SZ. Drop the expandable attrib for a REG_SZ-->
            <!--Text is limited to 1023 chars by admx-->
            <text id="LocalSourcePath_TextBox" valueName="LocalSourcePath" expandable="true"/>

<!--This value will be stored as a REG_DWORD-->
            <boolean id="CheckBox_NeverUseWU" valueName="UseWindowsUpdate">
              <trueValue>
                <decimal value="2" />
              </trueValue>
              <falseValue>
                <delete />
              </falseValue>
            </boolean>

<!--This value will be stored as a REG_DWORD-->
            <boolean id="CheckBox_SidestepWSUS" valueName="RepairContentServerSource">
              <trueValue>
                <decimal value="2" />
              </trueValue>
              <falseValue>
                <delete />
              </falseValue>
            </boolean>

</elements>
        </policy>
      </policies>
    </policyDefinitions>

Ensure your policy Central Store contains this file, and that the corresponding Servicing.adml file exists in the language folder.  When you enable it, it looks like this:

policy

-Tony

• Proposed as answer by Tony MCP Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:53 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:52 PM
  • Ok. I think I know what is wrong, but wanted to confirm.  The "Servicing" file is there, but is (if I understand correctly) at the Windows 10 level.

My domain/forest are both at 2008 R2.  In order to use this policy, would I need to raise the level to 2012R2?  I suspect that is why I cannot see it as an option.

Monday, March 20, 2017 12:27 PM
  • Ok. I think I know what is wrong, but wanted to confirm.  The "Servicing" file is there, but is (if I understand correctly) at the Windows 10 level.

My domain/forest are both at 2008 R2.  In order to use this policy, would I need to raise the level to 2012R2?  I suspect that is why I cannot see it as an option.

No.

The policy templates have nothing to do with OS version or domain/forest functional levels (pre-Windows 2000 is different, of course).

It's the policy editor client that parses the ADM(X) files, builds the interface, and saves the .POL file to sysvol.  The client systems read the .POL file and apply the policy.  Some policies only apply to certain operating systems, but that is all client-side.

To confirm this, I [just now] did the following:

1. On a clean VM, I booted from the Server 2008 R2 wSP1 CD and installed 2008 R2 Standard.
    2. I installed AD domain services, and ran dcpromo. I left the domain & forest at 2003 functional level.
    3. I didn't bother to install any Windows updates.
    4. I ran "Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 ADMX.msi" to get the admx files.
    5. I created the central policy store and copied the policy templates there.
    6. I opened Group Policy Management, edited default domain policy, and confirmed the setting was available.

The only reasons you won't see the settings are:

1. The central policy store isn't setup correctly.
    2. \\domain\sysvol\domain\Policies\PolicyDefinitions is not accessible
    3. The policy store doesn't contain templates that have the settings you are looking for.

When using gpedit, ensure you are using the central store:

policy store

Ensure the servicing.admx file is in the central store:

servicing.admx

Ensure the servicing.adml is in your language folder:

adml

If you still don't see it, then verify the permissions on the policy store tree is not messed up.

Lastly, you can do what I did for the screen shots: delete all other policy files.  When you use policy editor, you should see only one policy:

policies

If, after all this, you still don't see the polices, then you have exhausted my knowledge on this.

Good luck

-Tony

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:17 PM
  • Ok. I did some more testing. I am running GPM Editor on my Windows 10 machine, which is where I cannot see the Policy in question. I verified everything above - and the ADMX/ADML, Policy Store, etc. are all correct.

To test, I decided to try running on the Domain Controller instead, where the Policy Store was created.  When logged in there, I can see the missing setting.

Any thoughts on why that would be?  I am using a different account while logged into the DC - however both accounts I am using are Domain Admin.

Monday, March 27, 2017 6:15 PM
  • Ok. I did some more testing. I am running GPM Editor on my Windows 10 machine, which is where I cannot see the Policy in question. I verified everything above - and the ADMX/ADML, Policy Store, etc. are all correct.

To test, I decided to try running on the Domain Controller instead, where the Policy Store was created.  When logged in there, I can see the missing setting.

Any thoughts on why that would be?  I am using a different account while logged into the DC - however both accounts I am using are Domain Admin.

Try it on another desktop to confirm there's nothing messed up with the PC you are using, maybe?  Also, try with same account.

Other than that, I don't know. I would suggest starting a new question in the Windows 10 forum with details of your problem. Title it like: "Windows 10 GPM not displaying some policies from central store; but is OK on DC".

Good luck

-Tony

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:21 PM