How to prevent Skype for Business from mixing Outlook Contacts (Outlook in cached mode) with Skype for Business Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

we have a Exchange Server 2013 CU18 and Skype for Business 2015 on-premises environment.

We recently discovered that Outlook Contacts stored in cached mode Outlook profile get mixed up in Skype for Business App Contact Card if some contact details (phone number) are the same.

It looks like this:

It only happens in outlook cached mode, but not using cached mode is not an option for us.

Is there a way to prevent this merging of contacts in the skype client while having the possibility to use cached mode and outlook contacts?

Regards,

Robert

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:20 PM

Answers

• let try with a test client policy set-csclientpolicy -ExcludedContactFolders suggestedcontacts
    • Marked as answer by Rlilienthal Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:53 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 3:15 PM
  • let try with a test client policy set-csclientpolicy -ExcludedContactFolders suggestedcontacts

I set the following based on some reasearch:

ExcludedContactFolders: Contacts, Suggested Contacts, Recipient Cache

I still don't get the result I hoped for. At the moment I am creating a matrix in which situation (depending on client, contact source/Outlook folder, client policy, other settings) what the result is.

I think then I can choose a setting that is the least annoying or best working and have to live with it.
    There are so many factors acting on contacts and the way they are displayed or merged in diffent clients und situations.

I don't know what to mark as answer, every post helped me on the way.

Thank you for your help.

• Edited by Rlilienthal Wednesday, April 18, 2018 12:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rlilienthal Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:54 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 12:00 PM

All replies

• if I got this right this article would help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4015948/deprecation-of-skype-for-business-contacts-folder-in-outlook-and-outlo

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:39 PM
  • Thank you for the article. I tried the many Settings with not very different results. It seems like luck if the contacts are not mixed up in some way.

Our ClientPolicy has the following Settings related to contacts:

AddressBookAvailability : WebSearchOnly DisplayPhoto : PhotosFromADOnly EnableExchangeContactSync : False PolicyEntry : {Name=EnableExchangeContactsFolder;Value=False}
    ExcludedContactFolders                  : Local Contacts

We have two Users who share the same phone number. I copied one of them to my personal contacts in outlook.

Without Outlook in cached mode it seems to be fine. But with cached mode enabled the contact not in my personal contacts gets mixed up with information of the personal contact as shown in the screenshot.

If I move the personal contact to the "Local Contacts" folder it seems to be fine until I reset the sip-profile and start skype without running outlook. Then even the wrong image of the contact is shown.
    Once I start outlook the contact in skype gets updated und the information is fine again.

It seems to have some to do with msosearch? If I disable msosearch through ocapi_test.config.xml I get the same result as when I started the first time without outlook.

I think msosearch overrules my personal contact if the contact is located in my excluded contact folders.

But this all does not seem to be a safe way to prevent the mixing of contact information in skype for business app.

I am kind of lost here.

• Edited by Rlilienthal Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:35 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:12 AM
  • Hello Rlilienthal,

Thanks for the information, based on what I understand moment it tries to match the contacts in "Skype Contact folder" it causes the problem when in Cache Mode, when its in online mode its not referring to these since its able to validate the information and display it correctly. For testing we can try an follow this

1.Uncheck "Sync of Contact info between Skype and Exchange" for a day

2. backup and generate a new OST file for outlook

or Try this with MFCMAPI

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3193240/outlook-skype-for-business-contacts-folder-doesn-t-sync-with-skype-for

Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:42 PM
  • Hello,

we do not sync Contacts between Outlook and Skype for Business - so my "Skype for Business Contacts"-folder in Outlook/Exchange is empty.

I just copied one contact of the two Users with the same phone number to my contcts in Outlook and it starts mixing up the information of this contact with the other not in my contacts like schon above.

This is how outlook looks like:

This is how it looks without msosearch:

This is how it is supposed to look allways (It is like this with Outlook in cached mode or the other contact in the excluded "Local Contacts" and msosearch on):

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rlilienthal Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:53 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Hi ,

Do you have some updates? If the reply help to you ,please mark the reply as answer.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:18 AM

I set the following based on some reasearch:

ExcludedContactFolders: Contacts, Suggested Contacts, Recipient Cache

I still don't get the result I hoped for. At the moment I am creating a matrix in which situation (depending on client, contact source/Outlook folder, client policy, other settings) what the result is.

I think then I can choose a setting that is the least annoying or best working and have to live with it.
    There are so many factors acting on contacts and the way they are displayed or merged in diffent clients und situations.

I don't know what to mark as answer, every post helped me on the way.

Thank you for your help.

• Edited by Rlilienthal Wednesday, April 18, 2018 12:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rlilienthal Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:54 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Hi Rlilienthal,

You could find the "mark as answer" in each reply like the following screenshot.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:48 AM