Windows 7 64-bit computer is randomly locking up. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!  I could REALLY use some help!  I built my own computer about 3 months ago and ever since, I've been having problems with it locking up at very random times.  You can have 5 things up and running and its fine, but be playing only MS Chess and it locks.  And when it locks, it locks hard..to the point where the event log doesn't always capture what happened.  Sometime it locks for a second and will shut off.

I tried performing all the tests I know to id the problem, but couldn't find it.  Then, I brought it into a computer service center.  They had it for 5 day testing everything.  They discovered I had a bad hard drive and a bad motherboard.  From what they said, when they swapped those parts into a working computer, it locked.  So, I when back to the place I bought all  my stuff and got a new motherboard, a new hard drive, and I even got a new video card.  They also re-installed W7 many times and checked for current driver to make sure it wasn't software related.  Well....an hour after replacing all they said to replace, it locked again.

Even though it is completely random, the computer seems to lock more frequently in a couple of cases.  A) If Flash 10 is running.  The service center got it to lock fairly often after running videos from www.hula.com for about 10 minutes.  I've noticed that too where it doesn't like Flash all that well.  B) It also seems to dislike USB connections.  It locked last night when I had my optical USB mouse, camcorder USB mount, and iPod USB cord plugged in.  When I restarted it, it wouldn't let me in Windows, saying it couldn't due to a "recently new software or hardware install".  So, I unplugged all the USBs (and ether cable), tried restarting it and it let me in Windows.  C) iTunes seems to annoy it as well.  If I use it, at some point, she locks ups (USB is plugged in).

I'm about ready to burn this computer, but I spent hard earned money on it, so I'm truly in a love/hate relationship with it right now.  The computer service center told me it might be the processor as well, but said that is REALLY rare for that to be faulty.  Here are the specs and some software that make up this machine.  Any help or ideas would be VERY welcomed!!!

Processor: Intel i5 750 @ 2.66

Ram: 4 GB (x2 Super Talent W1333UB2GB8)

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750

OS Hard Drive: Corsair SSD Reactor Series 60GB

RAID Drives: x3 Seagate Barracuda SATA 1TB

Main Software:

Adobe Photoshope Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4

iTunes

Microsoft Security Essentials

Sony Picture Utility

QuickTime

Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Gilgamesh76,

According to your description, the issue should be caused by hardware.

Please temporary remove "RAID Drives: x3 Seagate Barracuda SATA 1TB" from the computer and see if the issue can be resolved.

If the issue persists, unplug all unnecessary devices and perform the steps below to see if the culprit can be found:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

If the issue persists, to solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, April 2, 2010 1:35 AM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 8:05 AM