Windows Aero no longer works,*FIXED* RRS feed

• Question

•  

**************NOW FIXED, SEE POST 11 FOR INFO******************

Hi all,

Ok, well I noticed today that my aero system was no longer working (am left with the default solid pastel blues...  yuk) I am not sure when it happened as it only dawned on me when I was calibrating my screen but it cant have been more than a few days.

My system:

Q6600 Quad Core @ 3.2Ghz

8 gig DDR3

ATi 5870 1Gb DDR5

Win 7 *Ultimate

Things Ive tried:

Windows Aero Glass visual effects are not working or displayed

&

rolling back to an earlier video driver (using driver cleaner to ensure removal and fresh install)

After that I have no clue...  The Aero themes are available to me, the background changes but the glass effects and color themes of the start bars and windows still stays the same, i.e. default solide pastel blues.

Thanks for your time.

• Edited by Luc82 Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:37 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 11:11 PM

Answers

•  

FIXED.

For anyone else having these problems and the usual substandard mocrosoft fixes wont do...

Use the following method, but follow it closely as you need to edit your registry. (Its simple, but if your a novice please take your time)

1. Click on Start and type regedit at run

2. Now Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

3. In the right details pane, create following Three DWORD (32-bit value) entry

UseMachineCheck, and set its value to 0.

Blur, and set its value to 0.

Animations, and set its value to 0.

4. Close Regedit

5. Click on Start and type CMD with administrative Priviliges

6. Now type following command

Net Stop uxsms

Net Start uxsms

Above command will stop and start Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.

7. Now you can turn on Aero by right clicking on desktop-> Personalize -> Select Windows Colors

My thanks to several days of trial, error, and gooling.

it may not fix all missing aero problems but I`m willing to bet it may solve some of the more severe issues with the DWM.exe service.

• Edited by Luc82 Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:00 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:33 AM

All replies

• How to Troubleshoot Problems with Aero

1) Click on the Start button and then type: Aero. Now click on the “Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects” link.
    2) A new wizard dialog will open. Make sure you click Advanced to fix any problems automatically.
    3) Either the problem will be fixed or not. If not, you will get a list of items that are possible problems.
    4) If you want to see more details about the problem, you can click on View detailed information. This will give you a list of potential issues that were checked and which ones are causing problems.

If that does not work---> click Start---> Right click Computer---> Click on Properties
    Click on the "Windows Experience Index" link then click "Re-run the assessment" to refresh your WEI Index score and try again.

Note: If you have Windows 7 Starter, or if your system doesn't meet the requirements for Aero you won't be able to use Aero.

Windows 7 Aero Minimum Hardware Requirements:
    http://www.intowindows.com/windows-7-aero-minimum-hardware-requirements

Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

Whilst I appreciate the response and I am sure your busy, I really would like something that wasn’t "cut & paste" which is plain and obvious given I clearly listed my system specs, my windows version, which are all above specification for Aero and yet in the reply you’ve pasted:-

"Note: If you have Windows 7 Starter, or if your system doesn't meet the requirements for Aero you won't be able to use Aero.
    Windows 7 Aero Minimum Hardware Requirements:
    http://www.intowindows.com/windows-7-aero-minimum-hardware-requirements"

Which pretty much makes me think you didn’t read my post, but glanced at the title and flopped out a response.

In any case, on following your instructions, for the built in fixer as opposed to the online solution I used after trying the in built fixer initially, there are no detected problems just as the on line fixer stated. I re ran the performance assessment like you asked and can report my score of 7.8 and specifically Aero graphics performance of 7.8

• Edited by Luc82 Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:50 PM
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:49 PM
  • I did read your post - that info at the end was left in for others who come to this forum looking for an answer to Aero problems but with different hardware.

Since none of the troubleshooting worked:

1. You said you tried an earlier driver - did you try uninstalling the driver, rebooting, and reinstalling the newest drivers?

2. Right click on the desktop, click Personalize, click Windows Colors. Then verify "Enable Transparency" is checked.

3. Verify Visual Effects Are On

A. For this right click on "Computer" and select "Properties" from the right click menu.
    B. Click on "Advanced System Settings" from the left pane to open up the "System Properties" window.
    C. Select the "Advanced" tab from it. Then Under "Performance" click "Settings".
    D. Now check "Enable transparent glass" and "Enable Desktop Compisition"
    E. Restart the computer.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Hi TrekDozer, first off I am sorry if I sounded a little off on my previous post, its been a long day, but I appreciate the responses.

ok, so following your advice here’s my responses to each number.

1/  I was originally on the latest driver set for my card, I reverted to an earlier version in an effort to try to fix the aero issue but when that failed to fix it, i have since re installed the latest driver set as I gain a significant performance increase from the latest cat drivers. Have no fear about them being installed correctly, I’ve been an I.T. service technician for 15 years, I should also point out that I posted I have "home premium" when I have ultimate edition, forgive my lapse but im installing two dozen home premiums on laptops for a client as we speak and my brains fried with doing the same motions over and over for the last 14 hours... Like I said, long day...

But as I say I am quite stumped and would like to find a way without having to re install the O.S. (which for me means shuffling about a Tb or so of data... :(  )

2/ On the personalization window, I click "window colour"  which gives me the 2color and appearance" info box. Now here’s where I am a little lost with your instruction as there are no discernible check boxes, no advanced buttons of tabs they could be hiding in either.

3/ Now this one is odd...  I am in the system prop box>>> advanced tab>>>Performance  "settings button" is clicked, this being where you say to "check "Enable transparent glass" and "Enable Desktop Composition"...

The odd thing is those check boxes are not present... ?.

• Edited by Luc82 Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:28 PM
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Based on the image you posted for number 3, it looks like you have Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic installed.

Home Premium and higher have 4 - 5 more options available.

Verify your version of Windows 7:

1. Click Start
    2. In the search box type: winver
    3. Press enter
    4. The Window that pops up will show the version of Windows 7

EDIT:

Also, for number 2, this is the window you should see:

http://cdn.techknowl.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/340-windows-7-colors-and-appearance.png

• Edited by TrekDozer Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:38 AM
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Hi,

I sorry if i barged into this post here (i am new to this and not familiar with the rules for something like this) but i am having the same problem. I figured it would be better to just add to this question instead of asking a whole new one. I got a BSOD and my laptop restarted after which my aero system wasn't working.

My System :

T440 Dual-Core 2.2GHz

2Gb ram

Windows 7 enterprise Sp 1

The thing is i ran the troubleshooter and it said "Aero effects not supported on this Windows Edition". The common features my problem shares with Luc82's problem are that i can select aero theme and the check boxes for aero options are not present.

Also when I go to Taskbar and Start Menu Properties the option for aero peek doesn't appear under Taskbar tab.

I ran "winver" as well that's showing Windows 7 Enterprise Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

I have had this problem before and eventually had to resort installing a fresh copy of windows.

I don't know if it helps but I was playing a game when my computer crashed.

Please Refer to this post here for more details :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/error-message-aero-effects-not-supported-on-this/177b17b5-0ff2-4899-81b7-bf8b9cb6dac6

Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Based on the image you posted for number 3, it looks like you have Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic installed.

Home Premium and higher have 4 - 5 more options available.

Hi,

I realise that is what it looks like but please trust me when I give you system information, I`m not a novice at this... :)

I have installed on my home machine Windows Ultimate (pic added to put your mind at rest) and have used Aero perfectly fine for the last 12 months of this install.

I am aware of roughly what I "should" be seeing, I`m here because I am baffled as to why I am not. Its the darndest thing.

p.s.  zxcasdqwe007   your welcome to post here. Glad I am not alone. The only difference between your issue and mine seems to be that Aero shows as supported with no problems, but the function just isnt there.

Can I ask what graphics card manufacturer is in your laptop?  i.e. ATi, Nvidia, Intel, SiS  ect ect.

• Edited by Luc82 Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:30 PM
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:28 PM
  • My graphics card manufacturer is Intel.

I was looking around for anything related to this issue this i found on Wikipedia.

Requirements

Microsoft has listed the following requirements for what they call a Vista Premium Ready PC. A PC that meets or exceeds these requirements will be able to use the new Aero technologies.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference"></sup>

• Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Enterprise. Aero is not available by default in Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic, although a workaround has been discovered allowing Vista Basic users to have transparency and blur effects, provided that their system meets the recommended hardware requirements.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference"></sup>
    It got me wondering if the problem might lie with the WDDM driver or with the Aero files themselves i.e are they corrupted or just missing or for some reason Windows cannot verify that I have the correct version of Windows to run Aero ?
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:08 PM
  • *bump*
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:26 AM
  •  

FIXED.

For anyone else having these problems and the usual substandard mocrosoft fixes wont do...

Use the following method, but follow it closely as you need to edit your registry. (Its simple, but if your a novice please take your time)

4. Close Regedit

Net Stop uxsms

Net Start uxsms

7. Now you can turn on Aero by right clicking on desktop-> Personalize -> Select Windows Colors

it may not fix all missing aero problems but I`m willing to bet it may solve some of the more severe issues with the DWM.exe service.

• Edited by Luc82 Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:00 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Hi Luc82,

Your solution didn't work for me, not even a single feature was restored.

Strangely enough i got another BSOD and my Aero was working again.

• Proposed as answer by 1wobby1 Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:32 AM
  •  

FIXED.

4. Close Regedit

Net Stop uxsms

Net Start uxsms

My system is 64-bit. Can you tell me if different DWORD values are needed?

Aero and transparencies disappeared overnight for no obvious reason, and none of the other suggested fixes has worked.

smcc
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Same thing happened to me but my system is 32-bit... What do I do?
    • Proposed as answer by eazyaz Sunday, April 8, 2012 12:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by eazyaz Sunday, April 8, 2012 12:47 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:10 AM
  • I know the OP has already been "answered" but I was just having the same problem (Aero transparency wouldn't work and the troubleshooter returned no errors but would not fix the problem) and the proposed solution (regedit entry & cmd) wouldn't work for me.

Turns out my monitor's "Colors" setting (that I found at: RIGHT CLICK/SCREEN RESOLUTION/ADVANCED SETTINGS/MONITOR) was set to "High Color (16 bit)." I changed that to "True Color (32 bit)" and everything is now working as it should. 

• Proposed as answer by eazyaz Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:00 PM
    • Edited by eazyaz Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:01 PM
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 12:53 PM
  • Such a simple solution, but it fixed my problem. Thank you!!!
    Monday, December 24, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Hello,

Do you remember the last instance when your aero theme worked perfectly? If yes, then you can use your Windows bootable DVD to go for a system restore.

Start the system restore and set the restore point to the time instance when your aero theme was working perfectly. After 10-15 minutes or so, your system will be restored to the previous state with all the driver settings rolled back. Believe me, I faced exactly the same problem and none of the solutions given here worked but this one.

Hope you manage it. :-)

• Proposed as answer by Devang Pandey Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:21 PM
  • I am having this same issue and have been for some time since i UPGRADED my video card.  I have tried everything listed here and it is still happening.  The moment the computer loads I get this error message and nothing I seem to do fixes it.  HELP
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Awesome fix it worked great!!
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Do you mind simplifying it?
    like what type do i create? A key or a value?
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:00 AM
  • wen i run the steps and stop and start uxsms, aero turns on then instantly turns off again any help?
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 12:17 AM
  • Luc82 

SPECTACULAR. Worked like a charm !!!!

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:44 PM
  • well none of solutions worked for me, but then i remembered, after i reistalled drivers 2x, that i played with nb and ht frequency in BIOS and overclocked them by 200mhz, i oced my ram too, an lower the timings, and that caused all this problems:

Aero didnt work, 

all visual settings werent there,

WEi didnt work, Video perfromance could not be measured

Event 9020 Desktop Window Manager error accured

After I restored BIOS to original settings Everything was as it should be

I hope this helps someone

Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Thanks, I have been trying to fix my Vero for a while now and this did it!!!!

I have no idea how it stopped working except maybe when Microsoft updates did it.

Thanks again

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Did you do what I did first time I typed net stop uxsms twice insted of net start uxsms the second time
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:31 AM
  • Thank you Luc82 for fixing my Aero  it works again  thanks for not  giving up on us !!!

i voted and  i kept u in my favorites thx once again  happy holidays !

Tom
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 6:02 PM
  • I Tried Everything You Said Luc82 but the CMD is showing

Access Denies Error code 5, what to do?

And my laptop is stuck at windows basic theme it is not getting out of it. Few days back I typed on internet windows 8 themes for windows 7 and it gave me some system files in C:/ProgramData/System36. I replaced them and that where the problem began. I shut down the laptop but next day when i booted it i found that the interface of fully activated windows 7 ultimate has became interface of windows 2000.

A major speed drop is also in and I am in Great Pain please REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, THANKS IN ADVANCED.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:35 AM
  • I've tried everything in this thread and my Aero will NOT turn back on (the menu options no longer exist).

I have 48 GB of ram and 24 cores on Win 7 PRO.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti.

My specs are good.  

This is very frustrating, especially not that I have a 4k monitor and legacy apps do not scale properly without Aero running.

The last time it worked was before I ran Windows Update.  Why or why must Windows update hose my machine like this.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Omfg eazyaz... 5 years later, you saved my life.

Indeed, I tried EVERYTHING, but then, I found out that my screen was set at 16bit too... I don't know how to thank you.

If you come to Québec City someday, tell me, I'll guide you

Monday, December 18, 2017 6:42 AM
  • HI, sorry I am, unfortunately one of those novices- could you explain point 3 please? I am in DWM, but don't understand what I now need to edit. Thanks in advance.
    Friday, January 12, 2018 12:08 PM
  • fixes for a second and then it goes back

Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:01 AM