Hyper-V role will not install. Is enabled in BIOS and the processor handles Hyper-V. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

After enabling Virtualization and hardware DEP in BIOS, when I click on the Hyper-V role to add it in Server Manager, I get the error message that states "Hyper-V cannot be installed.  Server Manager has detected that the processor on this computer is not compatible with Hyper-V..."

The processor handles Hyper-V based on the Intel tool I ran.  The processor shows no errors when tested.  I did not try to enable the role via command line to begin with either.

Anybody have any ideas?  Stumped here...

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 5:46 PM

Answers

• Hi NRComputing,

Following is the basic requirement for Hyper-V.

Processor: x64 compatible processor with Intel VT or AMD-V technology enabled.

Hardware Data Execution Prevention (DEP), specifically Intel XD bit (execute disable bit) or AMD NX bit (no execute bit), must be available and enabled.

Please make sure that hardware virtualization and DEP are enabled in BIOS.

After you change the setting in BIOS, please reboot the server and try again.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Monday, June 10, 2013 6:20 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 7:07 AM

All replies

• Have you done a cold boot since you changed the BIOS?  Ideally, pull the power for a few seconds so the BIOS can be cleared and reloaded.

What is the system/motherboard info? 

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Have not tried a cold boot as of yet.

Specs:

PowerEdge T710

Intel Xeon E5520 2.27GHz

BIOS 6.3.0

Win Server 2008 Std x64

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Hi NRComputing,

Following is the basic requirement for Hyper-V.

Processor: x64 compatible processor with Intel VT or AMD-V technology enabled.

Hardware Data Execution Prevention (DEP), specifically Intel XD bit (execute disable bit) or AMD NX bit (no execute bit), must be available and enabled.

Please make sure that hardware virtualization and DEP are enabled in BIOS.

After you change the setting in BIOS, please reboot the server and try again.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jeremy_Wu Monday, June 10, 2013 6:20 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 7:07 AM