none
Locked files RRS feed

• Question

• Most of my application files, Excel, Word, PDF... have become locked with a gold padlock on the file icon. I am denied access to the files. New files that I create do not have this problem. I have 'full control' Permissions for the files, but still cannot open. I have set myself as the Owner of the user file ( Will) in this case. Help
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 2:23 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the input. I will have a chat with Acronis, but it looks bad for the home team.

Were these files created by yourself? As EckiS said, it's most probably caused by the EFS encryption.

If that's EFS, please check if the EFS certificated exists.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type certmgr.msc, and click on OK to open Certificates Manager.

2. In the left pane of certmgr, expand open the Personal store, and open Certificates.

3. In the right pane of Certificates, select all certificates for Encrypting File System under the "Intended Purpose" column.

If no, there is no way to recovery your files.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by chilcon Monday, May 15, 2017 5:46 PM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Where they are?  in local drive, USB flash memory, external HDD, file server?

Please provide the error message, or a screenshot of it. 

Saturday, May 13, 2017 2:36 PM
  • The locked files are in the C drive Documents folders, and in the USP WD backup drives. Note the gold lock symbols below. The error message for the Medications file is: Excel cannot open the file 'Medications New.xlsm' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Under file properties - Advanced the Encrypt contents box is checked. If I uncheck it and close the box, I get the message 'The specified file could not be decrypted'. Thanks for helping.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

Are you using BitLocker or something like that?
    Could you insert screenshots which shows error message(... because the file format or file extension is not valid.) and Encrypt contents box? or provide them via cloud storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc?
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 2:43 AM
  • I am not using bitlocker, but I did use Acronis True Image to restore to an earlier time. Only on the C drive.
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 3:28 PM
  • perhaps the files were encrypted via EFS, then you restored the system to a point in time before you first encrypted the files (at this point the key was generated): then your key is now no longer in Windows and you need to re import it.

You did of course backup the key....

Or you are in a Domain, then you need to contact your Admin who will have the backup of the key.
    (and then the encryption may have been forced by a policy, or by WIP)
    Data Recovery and Encrypting File System (EFS)
    • Edited by EckiS Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:12 PM
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:12 PM
  • Thanks for the input. I will have a chat with Acronis, but it looks bad for the home team.
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:55 PM

Were these files created by yourself? As EckiS said, it's most probably caused by the EFS encryption.

If that's EFS, please check if the EFS certificated exists.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type certmgr.msc, and click on OK to open Certificates Manager.

2. In the left pane of certmgr, expand open the Personal store, and open Certificates.

3. In the right pane of Certificates, select all certificates for Encrypting File System under the "Intended Purpose" column.

If no, there is no way to recovery your files.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by chilcon Monday, May 15, 2017 5:46 PM
    Monday, May 15, 2017 6:11 AM
  • My username is Will, and I have the following certificates:
    Monday, May 15, 2017 1:09 PM
  • All the files were created by me.
    Monday, May 15, 2017 1:53 PM
  • After your input, I identified a user account with a certificate that would unlock all the files on my backup computer!!

Still concerning that the files on both computers and my USB backup drive were locked. I have never used the EFS, but have encrypted individual files with a password of my choosing.

Many thanks!

chilcon

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:50 PM