none
Archive Database RRS feed

• Question

• In the Delete Enterprise Objects section in Project Online the projects section includes reference to Archived Projects.

As  I recall the Archive Database was provided as part of Project Server to support retention of versions of Project plans and the backup and restoring of project plans.

Does the Archive Database still exist as part of the Project Online offering or is this simply an example of the text on a page not being updated in the move from Project Server to Project Online?

If the Archive Database persists how can it be accessed?

As an aside what was the rationale for dropping the retention backup and restore options for Project data? There were occasions when the ability to recover a single plan as a result of users needing to roll back to a restore point was particularly useful. 

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Monday, December 16, 2019 9:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dominic,

Indeed it is confusing but Microsoft just didn't change the interface of this page from Project Server. There is no more archive DB in Project Online. We are many to ask for the backup/restore feature to be back in Project Online.

There is a uservoice on it and I wrote an article about it:

https://psbehindthescene.blogspot.com/2019/08/project-versioning-and-back-up-on.html

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Dominic Moss Monday, December 16, 2019 10:43 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for clarifying that the reference to Archive is due to Microsoft not updating the relevant page in the transition from Project Server to Project Online - they obviously really care about the solution they are selling. How many new users see this page and wonder what Archive is about?

I saw your Project Voice request a while ago and have already added my voice/vote to request the reinstatement of this feature as it was a big benefit to Administrators and was particularly appreciated by users who needed to correct  their own "user error" updates to their projects.

In the interim I am going to explore the Fluent Pro offering.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Monday, December 16, 2019 10:43 AM