Locking down Word 2007 menu options for examination readiness. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We've been asked to lock a few features down within Word 2007 in preparation for the exam period starting next week, but there's one request I can't for the life of me seem to fulfill.

Under the Office button > Word Options button > Proofing there are a number of options relating to spell checking that must be disabled. I've so far been able to disable features broadly from the main ribbon, such as the spell checker and thesaurus, but I can't seem to prevent one from going into Word Options at all, meaning that the auto-correct options can be enabled, and the schools are not happy with this.

Technically, I've done what was asked of me in that the spell-checking cannot be launched, but I would like to know if it's possible to lock users out of the Proofing, Word Options and/or Office button menus/dialogs altogether. Is this possible?

I've tried working with the two links included with each of the group policies related to specifying a feature ID to lock down, but I can't seem to find anything related to this final issue.

Cheers,
    Lain

Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:34 AM

Answers

• There’s no Office Group Policy object to disable the Word Options dialog.

But, it’s possible to disable Office/Word commands like Office button > Word Options via a customized template in the Startup folder, WITH ONE IMPORTANT CAVEAT:

The command will ONLY remain disabled if Word 2007 is NOT started in safe mode - which could be done by pressing CTRL while starting Word or by starting Word with the winword /safe or winword /a switches via the Start > Run dialog.

To create the custom template you do the following:

1.       In Word 2007, create a new file and save it as new blank .dotx template via Office button > Save As > Word Template
    (give it a descriptive name like DisableWordOptionsButton.dotx)

2.       Exit Word

3.       Download the free utility to customize an Microsoft Office 2007/2010 application
    http://openxmldeveloper.org/attachment/239.ashx

4.       Extract the OfficeCustomUIEditorSetup.msi and install the Custom UI Editor for Microsoft Office on the PC.

5.       Start Custom UI Editor for Microsoft Office

6.       File > Open

7.       Navigate to the DisableWordOptionsButton.dotx file you created in step 1.

8.       Select the .dotx; then click Open

9.       Custom UI Editor for Microsoft > Insert > Office 2007 Custom UI Part

10.   Select the xml below and copy it to the clipboard.

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">

<commands>

<command idMso="ApplicationOptionsDialog" enabled="false" />

</commands>

</customUI>

11.   Paste the xml into the right window of the Custom UI Editor for Microsoft.

12.   Click the icon with the red checkmark directly below the Insert menu to validate the XML.
    You should get a message
    Custom UI XML is well formed!

If you get any other message, you need to fix the invalid xml before continuing.

13.   File > Save

14.   File > Close

15.   Copy the DisableWordOptionsButton.dotx file to the Word Startup folder the template to a Startup folder
    (example)
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\STARTUP

16.   Start Word 2007

17.   Office button  > the Word Options should be dimmed

Please let me know if this solution will work for you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian
    Microsoft Online Community Support

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Friday, October 15, 2010 6:02 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:07 PM
  • > There’s no Office Group Policy object to disable the Word Options dialog.

You can almost do this through Group Policy.

In the Group Policy Editor, select Word 2007, and  under "Disable Items in User Interface", select "Custom", then double click on "Disable Commands". Select "Enabled" and then click on  the "Show" button, click on "Add", enter 11323 in the dialog that pops up, Press OK, and OK again, then click on Apply (or OK again).

This does not actually disable the Options dialog itself, and it can still be reached through the legacy keyboard shortcut of Alt+T,O, for example, or via Alt+F8, but it does disable the button under the Office Button.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

• Can you achieve what you are after by removing/renaming all of the .acl files from C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Lain Robertson" wrote in message news:a5ffce06-c643-46f2-9281-6f203037398d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi all,

We've been asked to lock a few features down within Word 2007 in preparation for the exam period starting next week, but there's one request I can't for the life of me seem to fulfill.

Under the Office button > Word Options button > Proofing there are a number of options relating to spell checking that must be disabled. I've so far been able to disable features broadly from the main ribbon, such as the spell checker and thesaurus, but I can't seem to prevent one from going into Word Options at all, meaning that the auto-correct options can be enabled, and the schools are not happy with this.

Technically, I've done what was asked of me in that the spell-checking cannot be launched, but I would like to know if it's possible to lock users out of the Proofing, Word Options and/or Office button menus/dialogs altogether. Is this possible?

I've tried working with the two links included with each of the group policies related to specifying a feature ID to lock down, but I can't seem to find anything related to this final issue.

Cheers,
    Lain

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Hi Doug.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to prevent the user from accessing the proofing options which is what the schools are asking for.

Cheers,
    Lain

Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:07 PM
  • There’s no Office Group Policy object to disable the Word Options dialog.

But, it’s possible to disable Office/Word commands like Office button > Word Options via a customized template in the Startup folder, WITH ONE IMPORTANT CAVEAT:

The command will ONLY remain disabled if Word 2007 is NOT started in safe mode - which could be done by pressing CTRL while starting Word or by starting Word with the winword /safe or winword /a switches via the Start > Run dialog.

To create the custom template you do the following:

1.       In Word 2007, create a new file and save it as new blank .dotx template via Office button > Save As > Word Template
    (give it a descriptive name like DisableWordOptionsButton.dotx)

2.       Exit Word

3.       Download the free utility to customize an Microsoft Office 2007/2010 application
    http://openxmldeveloper.org/attachment/239.ashx

4.       Extract the OfficeCustomUIEditorSetup.msi and install the Custom UI Editor for Microsoft Office on the PC.

5.       Start Custom UI Editor for Microsoft Office

6.       File > Open

7.       Navigate to the DisableWordOptionsButton.dotx file you created in step 1.

8.       Select the .dotx; then click Open

9.       Custom UI Editor for Microsoft > Insert > Office 2007 Custom UI Part

10.   Select the xml below and copy it to the clipboard.

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">

<commands>

<command idMso="ApplicationOptionsDialog" enabled="false" />

</commands>

</customUI>

11.   Paste the xml into the right window of the Custom UI Editor for Microsoft.

12.   Click the icon with the red checkmark directly below the Insert menu to validate the XML.
    You should get a message
    Custom UI XML is well formed!

If you get any other message, you need to fix the invalid xml before continuing.

13.   File > Save

14.   File > Close

15.   Copy the DisableWordOptionsButton.dotx file to the Word Startup folder the template to a Startup folder
    (example)
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\STARTUP

16.   Start Word 2007

17.   Office button  > the Word Options should be dimmed

Please let me know if this solution will work for you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I'll hopefully get a chance to sit down and try this later this week (if not, then early next week), but based on what you've written my thought process revolves around the steps you've listed along with using group policy to deliver the custom Word template to the profile after logon (since the account is removed on logout).

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Lain

PS: It looks like your second reply was meant for another thread.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:36 PM
  • Thanks Lain, sorry about that.  I deleted that post to prevent any confusion.

Thanks!
    Adrian

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:35 PM
  • > There’s no Office Group Policy object to disable the Word Options dialog.

You can almost do this through Group Policy.

In the Group Policy Editor, select Word 2007, and  under "Disable Items in User Interface", select "Custom", then double click on "Disable Commands". Select "Enabled" and then click on  the "Show" button, click on "Add", enter 11323 in the dialog that pops up, Press OK, and OK again, then click on Apply (or OK again).

This does not actually disable the Options dialog itself, and it can still be reached through the legacy keyboard shortcut of Alt+T,O, for example, or via Alt+F8, but it does disable the button under the Office Button.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Just out of curiosity, where did the policy id of 11323 come from? I'd been using this old reference from 28-11-2006 which doesn't contain such a reference.

Cheers,
    Lain

Friday, October 15, 2010 8:27 AM
  • It doesn't seem to be in the 2007 reference. It is in the 2010 download, and does work in 2007.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Friday, October 15, 2010 10:35 AM
  • It is indeed in neither reference. The options can still be blocked by trapping the key that uses this which can also be done via group policy.

http://www.migee.com/2011/12/06/disable-grammar-spell-check-thesaurus-proofing-in-office-2010/

http://www.migee.com
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:27 PM