Permissions required to install EMET 5.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install EMET 5.5 on WIndows Server 2012 R2, while logged in as an Administrator with the  Manage Auditing and Security Log user right, is there anything more that is needed?

I am getting the error: Service 'Microsoft EMET Service (EMET_Service) failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Thanks.

DJ

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:48 PM

Answers

• I resolved the issue, it wasn't a permissions issue.  It was a Windows Service dependency issue; the Windows Service Secondary Logon was disabled.

Changed the Windows Service Secondary Logon to startup automatically, and started the service.  I was able to install EMET 5.5.

DJ

• Marked as answer by donsjones Friday, February 26, 2016 3:23 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 3:23 PM

All replies

• I resolved the issue, it wasn't a permissions issue.  It was a Windows Service dependency issue; the Windows Service Secondary Logon was disabled.

Changed the Windows Service Secondary Logon to startup automatically, and started the service.  I was able to install EMET 5.5.

DJ

• Marked as answer by donsjones Friday, February 26, 2016 3:23 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Thanks alot DJ!   I was going crazy trying to figure out what was going on.  I had 5.2 installed ok,  but couldn't get service to start for 5.5.   Tks for the help!

Rich.
    Monday, March 7, 2016 1:23 AM
  • I just realized though,  secondary logon is  huge security risk.   Maybe its best to just continue to use 5.2?
    Monday, March 7, 2016 2:39 AM
  • ding ding ding, you win the prize, security risk indeed.

e.s.e.t.  didn't protect me against attacks unfortunately.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:46 AM