none
Help with a bitlocker encrypted drive RRS feed

• Question

• Alright so about a month ago i BitLocker encrypted my 1tb external hard drive. But, i got tired of having to enter my password and so i decrypted the drive and all was great until wed this wk.  On wed all of the sudden when ever i try and access my external hard drive BL comes up and asks for authorization.  So i just try and enter my old password but when i entered it i got this error:

BitLocker Drive Encryption failed to recover from an abruptly terminated conversion. This could be due to either all conversion logs being corrupted or the media being write-protected.

I only get that error when i type in the old password, all others time it just says that i typed the wrong password.  So i tried restarting my laptop, taking the battery out while the laptop was off, unconnected and reconnected the drive. This all gives the same result, i need complete BL authorization. I have also connected the hard drive into another computer (xp) and instead of getting the BL to go screen i just got a screen asking if i wanted to format drive.

So i would like some help on file recovery, decryption, just any help?

Some more information:

This started on wednesday and the drive was working perfectly fine on tuesday.

I have ran a virus check and found nothing.

The external hard drive connects through usb.

It takes over 12 hrs to fully encrypt the drive and i never leave my computer on and unattended for that long so i think the drive might be partially encrypted.

I do not have the recovery key because i didn't save the key from when i encrypted the drive last time.  I didn't plan on re-encrypting the drive, at least not with BL

O ya i would just have formated the drive and wiped it but, there are some files on there that i would really like the recover. Yes i know if you have important files they should be backup on multiple places but i didn't.

Friday, May 28, 2010 10:59 AM

Answers