none
Resource Usage view lacking RRS feed

• Question

• In Resource Usage view the output provides a Resource Name with the Taks detailed underneath each name (very useful).  On the right side of the screen is the hours per week scheduled with a summary per resource.  If the task if partially complete and/or the resource is ahead of schedule then this information is useless.  What I need to see is Work Remaining.  I would also like to add a column for Project Status.  There does not appear to be any way to look at work remaining per project on a week by week basis.  What am I missing?  If 2007 does not do this does any other version?  The inability to get Task data in a Resource view is enough of an issue to make us consider dropping Project.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:07 PM

All replies

• WebsGen,

You can add the remaining work column to this view.  This will show, by resource, how much each has left.  Remember that this is a resource view (from the resource database), so task based columns are not available.  You may want to consider the task usage view when you look at project (task) based fields.  I wish you luck with the other software packages available as most all of them (that have a decent price-to-features ratio) have similar restrictions.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:57 PM
  • For any tool, you need also to update your schedule accurately. By this I mean after updating, there is no incomplete work in the past and no actual work in the future. In the Usage View add the Actual Work row (right click teh time phased area and select Actual Work) and then you can clearly see what's actual work and what's remaining.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Adding to perfect solutions of Gregg and Rod, you can try creating Visual Reports which have both Tasks, Resources and Timescale where in you can view Work and Actual Work (one of it is Budget Work Report) but you cannot get remaining work in any of the reports, so you can use formulas to calculate that. But this will be a manual effort. If you are good with queries you can save data in mbd format while creating reports and write your own queries to extract data from various tables available.

Sapna Shukla

Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:06 AM