none
Powershell script to compare contents of two derectories RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to do a powershell script to compare files in two different directories and return that information in a report form list the files that are different. The report must include file name, date, size and location. I want more information than just the file name and an =>. I am hoping to format the report like:

The following files in the local server (excaliber) are newer than, different size than or are missing on the remote server (irnearline2)

Name                           Date                                    Length                             Location
    --------                         -------------                          --------------------             -------------------
    File1.zip                       01/21/2012                          1234567                           \\excaliber.....
    File2.zip                       01/21/2012                          1234567                           \\excaliber.....
    File3.zip                       01/21/2012                          1234567                           \\excaliber.....
    File4.zip                       01/21/2012                          1234567                           \\excaliber.....

What I have so far:

<#
    This script gets information from the local side folder and compares it to the remote side
    It then sends a report to John
    This script was created on 10.7.16
    This script was created by Brad Tostenson
    #>
    $original = Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Path "\\excaliber\FTP\iPartners\Backup"
    $backup = Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Path "\\irnearline2\SANBackup\iPartners Backup\Backup"
    Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $original -DifferenceObject $backup -Property Name,Length

Friday, October 7, 2016 8:11 PM

Answers

• Wheel re-invented for my own purposes and it seems to work for me
    This is what I came up with:

<#
    This script gets information from the original folder and compares it to the backup side and emails the result
    This script was created on 10.10.16
    #>
    # sets the filename to be created based on the date along with location to create it
    $fileName = (Get-Date -Format yyMMdd) + ".txt"
    $location = "C:\backup\"
    # sets up the two folders to be compared
    $backup = Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Path "\\irnearline2\SANBackup\iPartners Backup\Backup"
    # tests the outcome of the comparison. if the compare comes back with nothing, the script ends
    $outcome = Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $original -DifferenceObject $backup -Property Name,Length
    if($outcome -eq $null)
    {exit}
    # creates the file to populate with results of the compare
    New-Item -ItemType file -Name $fileName -Path $location
    # compares the two folders original and backup and populates the files
    Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $original -DifferenceObject $backup -Property Name,Length | Out-File -FilePath (Join-Path $location $fileName)
    # Sends an email to recipient with the results
    Send-MailMessage -To "emailaddress"  -From "emailaddress" -Subject "iPartner Backup" -Attachments "c:\backup\$filename" -Body "See Attachment" -BodyAsHtml -SmtpServer smtpserver

• Marked as answer by b2netman Monday, October 10, 2016 7:05 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 7:05 PM

All replies

• Why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.google.com/search?&q=free+directory+compare+tool

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, October 7, 2016 8:42 PM
  • Right, there are a bunch of tools available. But if you need the data in PowerShell, comparing the file hash is the best option.

$files = Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Path D:\1, D:\2 | Add-Member -Name Hash -MemberType ScriptProperty -Value { ($this | Get-FileHash).Hash } -PassThru

$files | Group-Object -Property Hash |
    Sort-Object -Property FullName -PipelineVariable group |
    ForEach-Object { $_.Group } |
    Format-Table -Property Name, Length, FullName, LastWriteTime, @{ Name = 'File Count'; Expression = { $group.Count } }

-Raimund

Monday, October 10, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Wheel re-invented for my own purposes and it seems to work for me
    This is what I came up with:

<#
    This script gets information from the original folder and compares it to the backup side and emails the result
    This script was created on 10.10.16
    #>
    # sets the filename to be created based on the date along with location to create it
    $fileName = (Get-Date -Format yyMMdd) + ".txt"
    $location = "C:\backup\"
    # sets up the two folders to be compared
    # tests the outcome of the comparison. if the compare comes back with nothing, the script ends
    $outcome = Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $original -DifferenceObject $backup -Property Name,Length
    if($outcome -eq $null)
    {exit}
    # creates the file to populate with results of the compare
    New-Item -ItemType file -Name $fileName -Path $location
    # compares the two folders original and backup and populates the files
    Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $original -DifferenceObject $backup -Property Name,Length | Out-File -FilePath (Join-Path $location $fileName)
    # Sends an email to recipient with the results
    Send-MailMessage -To "emailaddress"  -From "emailaddress" -Subject "iPartner Backup" -Attachments "c:\backup\$filename" -Body "See Attachment" -BodyAsHtml -SmtpServer smtpserver

• Marked as answer by b2netman Monday, October 10, 2016 7:05 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 7:05 PM