Dawn of War - abnormal program termination RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed Dawn of War on Win7-RC-32bit but whenever I try to run it I get the following popup:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!

Program: D:\Dawn of War\Dawn of War\W40k.exe

abnormal program termination

OK  

Then when I click OK the cursor doesn't change back from the CD load cursor, and the CD wont eject until system restart!

I have tried various XP and VISTA compatability modes and have taken ownership of the file but nothing works! Also reinstalling did nothing to fix the problem.
    I also installed the Winter Assault expansion and that works FINE!

Core i7 920, X58-GA-UD3R, 3GB DDR3, 9800GTx2

Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:56 AM

Answers

• NZ_Luke,

Although I haven't yet heard of this resolving any issues under Windows 7, you could try installing the Visual C++ redistributable for Windows XP and Windows Vista.

I'm not too familiar with this game, but for the most part, I know that a game's expansion successfully working all but cancels out the fact of the original .exe not working - should we consider this solved as such?
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, July 6, 2009 2:43 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

NZ_Luke, please try Alex’s suggestions and let us know the results.

Meanwhile, if you right click on the executable file and select the option “Run as administrator” to run the game, will it work?

If the issue persists, please also go to the Dawn of War site to check if there is a patch for this game or just contact the support regarding this issue.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:15 AM

All replies

• NZ_Luke,

Although I haven't yet heard of this resolving any issues under Windows 7, you could try installing the Visual C++ redistributable for Windows XP and Windows Vista.

I'm not too familiar with this game, but for the most part, I know that a game's expansion successfully working all but cancels out the fact of the original .exe not working - should we consider this solved as such?
    -Alex
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting.

NZ_Luke, please try Alex’s suggestions and let us know the results.

Meanwhile, if you right click on the executable file and select the option “Run as administrator” to run the game, will it work?

If the issue persists, please also go to the Dawn of War site to check if there is a patch for this game or just contact the support regarding this issue.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:15 AM
  • Ok so I found some patches and updated from v1.4 to v1.4.1 then v1.5 and it started working fine.
     (Further update to v1.5.1 also works with no issues)

Thanks for all the help
    Luke

P.S. I tried installing the C++ redist. first but that didn't work. I had also tried to 'run as administrator' and that made no difference.

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:21 AM
  • hey can i get the link to get these patches. :)
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:52 PM