none
Task completed earlier than expected - Correct way to handle it RRS feed

• Question

• I use rescheduling to reschedule tasks in my project. It works as expected on remaining work.

My problem is that tasks which are in advance (completed or will complete earlier than expected) are still reserving ressources in the planning.

I attached a sample below. This is the state of the project on the 5th november. Tasks 1 and 2 are completed even if they are scheduled in the future. I would like that tasks 3 starts immediatly as the task 1 and 2 are completed and shift it to the 5th november in the planning.

What is the best practice to handle this kind of case ?

Any help would be appreciated

Gilles

• Edited by Nanoxi Friday, November 20, 2015 10:14 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 10:13 AM

Answers

• Nanoxi --

Your mistake is marking tasks as completed when they are scheduled in the future.  A better approach is to manually enter when the task started in the Actual Start field and when the task finished in the Actual Finish field.  This will pull the completed task back into the past, which is where the work was actually done.  There are a couple of rules I recommend you follow:

• No incomplete work in the past.
    • No completed work in the future.

If you follow those two simple rules, you will have a more accurate project schedule.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Nanoxi Friday, November 20, 2015 3:19 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 2:20 PM