none
Group Policy For 2008 Terminal Server Users Default Open With Not Working

Question

• I'm trying to change the default open with behavior for jpg files on my terminal server. I created a Group Policy that changed it to MS Paint to Office 2010 Picture Manager. The policy appears to apply correctly but jpg files still open in Paint. When a user is logged on, if they look at the properties of a jpg, it shows Photo Gallery as the program to open it but when opened, it opens in Paint.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Orange County District Attorney

Thursday, February 19, 2015 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Sandy,

We can try to use the %ProgramFilesDir% variable to specify the path of associated program to see if it helps. Besides, if the situation persists, we can try to restart the server to see if it helps.

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:29 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Frank. I changed the policy to use %ProgramFilesDir% instead however it still doesn't make a difference. We did restart the server and still the same result.

I've told my users to just take the extra step and choose Open With when they want to view a jpg. That seems to be the best solution for this.

Friday, February 20, 2015 4:08 PM
  • > The policy appears to apply correctly

Just to verify - how did you check that the policy applies correctly?

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Monday, February 23, 2015 4:14 PM
  • Well, actually the policy does not apply correctly otherwise the desired settings would be functional. When using Group Policy Results in the GP management console, it shows applied there. Or at least it thinks it did. It would be helpful to know where the changes actually go in the registry to see if they did or now.

Monday, February 23, 2015 4:50 PM
  • > did. It would be helpful to know where the changes actually go in the
    > registry to see if they did or now.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Monday, February 23, 2015 5:21 PM