Digital signature problem when accessing NMCI OWA with CAC on Windows 7 PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 PC and have been using OWA to access my NMCI email account and was able to digitally sign email and read encrypted email until a few months ago. The last email I sent off with the digital signature is dated 11/18/2012. I didn't chage my CAC or anything since then but I started getting the following error message whenever I try to send an email with digital signature:

Message from webpage: A digital ID that allows you to sign this message is missing. If your digital ID isn't trusted by the Exchange Server, you can't use it to sign messages. Ask your server administrator to have the issuer of the digital ID trusted, or send the message without a digital signature. If you have a smart card-based digital ID, insert the card and try to send the message again.

Well, my CAC is inserted and it is not expired. To prove it, I can use the same CAC to access any other CAC enabled web sites and I don't have any issues. I can even access OWA using the CAC, but it doesn't allow me to digitally sign the email. I contacted NMCI and did several things they suggested such as re-installing S/MIME and PKI certificates on PC but nothing helped and the tech said it might have something to do with Windows update since it stopped working at a certain point and I don't have any issues when I'm using NMCI machine to access Outlook or OWA. I also use Windows 7 and CAC at work and it does have the same problem.

Is anyone dealing with the same issue? Has anyone figured out what the problem is and how it can be fixed?

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:08 PM

Answers